Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Crutiatix
Crutiatix began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
Pocketbook 302 display only 4 color ?

Hi,
I noticed, that my e-book reader to display images instead of the sixteen color display only four. I checked it with various images of the crossings, but always display four colors, black screen, crossing of four colors, or a small icon.In the description of this e-book reader is written, that can display 16 colors in grayscale.
What is your experience with this?
Crutiatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The original PocketBook readers only supported 4 greyscales in hardware, but (like most EInk devices) they used dithering to increase the effective greyscale range. PocketBook claims that the 302 has 16 greyscales - but then they previously claimed that devices with 4 hardware greyscales also had 16 greyscales.

If an image only contains 4 grey levels, then that is all you will get. See More display issues on the DR for some images and ebooks to use for testing.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes exactly. try the test image from that thread

Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Crutiatix
Crutiatix began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
Thus, images with four colors display only in "Boot Logo" and "Power-off logo. In addition to these two cases, the images displayed correctly.
For a few hours i will add some photos.
All my batteries to camera are discharged. :/
Crutiatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
sobukus
sobukus began at the beginning.

Device: 2 lBook v3 (dead), DR 1000, PB 360 (dead), Bebook mini, Onyx M92 (...)
I am wondering about this, too, with my Pocketbook 360. Comparing some artwork in epub / HTML books between iRex DR 1000 and the PB clearly suggests that this is 4 color vs. 16 color rendering.
The example photos supplied with the machine also don't look like 16 color dithered display (there's a picture of a white swan ... not much structure to see).

I loaded a certain picture on the laptop and converted to 4 / 16 color dithered grayscale and thusly reproduced quite nicely what the two readers do. So I wonder, too: Can the Pocketbook hardware do 16 gray levels or not?

It wouldn't be a total deal breaker; for pretty graphics at proper scale the DR 1000 is much nicer anyway (though it totally loses on portability / power management); but nevertheless, the product info could be considered misleading...
sobukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
display wrong color, four colors, grayscale, little colors, pocketbook 302