Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
snlu178
snlu178 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Sony to Calibre

Is there a method to take those purchased items from the Sony Library that exist on the reader and add them back to the Calibre Library from within Calibre?

I have found you can send them to the Device but the device cannot send them to Calibre. I dont need an auto-sync, just a way to transfer them back to the PC.
snlu178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You can just copy them, or from Calibre "Add Book" and navigate to the mounted folder..
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
snlu178

I guess I was looking for "drag and drop" from the reader back to Calibre from within the Calibre UI. It wont do that, and that seems to be the simplest solution.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by snlu178 View Post
I guess I was looking for "drag and drop" from the reader back to Calibre from within the Calibre UI. It wont do that, and that seems to be the simplest solution.
If the Sony reader appears to be a drive, why no just open the drive and drag n' drop that way?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
snlu178

Once again limited knowledge here on how Calibre works (my first week of really heavy use).

If i open the two drives and drag / drop outside the UI I will still have to tell Calibre to search for those books...correct?

What I was hoping to see it within the UI you can drag from the SD card to Calibre and have Calibre add it to my pc library.

For instance, I purchase a book via Sony library that downloads to the SD card, I would then switch back to the Calibre window and drag that book over to my PC library so that it is added auto-magically. It removes a few steps by having that functionality in the UI rather than going to the folders.
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Once again limited knowledge here on how Calibre works (my first week of really heavy use).

If i open the two drives and drag / drop outside the UI I will still have to tell Calibre to search for those books...correct?

What I was hoping to see it within the UI you can drag from the SD card to Calibre and have Calibre add it to my pc library.

For instance, I purchase a book via Sony library that downloads to the SD card, I would then switch back to the Calibre window and drag that book over to my PC library so that it is added auto-magically. It removes a few steps by having that functionality in the UI rather than going to the folders.
That is what I was trying to say
Drag from the SD card (In Windows Explorer) onto the Calibre GUI,. You should see "Adding..." Appear.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
snlu178

im going to try this...my only fear is i will have to drag individual files over. I like the idea of a sync feature that is highlighted in other posts for the future.

I guess what I am fighting is the fundamental issue of Calibre creating duplicates. If all was easy I could drag the whole SD folder over and Calibre would know what files it already has and only add new files...im not sure if it does that. I have time tomorrow so I will play around with it.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you simply drag the folder over then Calibre will treat them as new books. It should warn you about duplicates (assuming you have not changed the title in Calibre) so you should then be able to reject duplicates.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
snlu178

thats what I was hoping for. I will try that, should resolve my questions. Like I said, I have a ton of tech and am a junkie, but with Calibre im new...so still figuring it all out.

I do appreciate the help from everyone on working my mind through this and still feel a sync is a needed feature. For that matter there should be a sticky for "Feature Requests".
Old 02-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Feature requests (as well as bug reporting) are handled via the Ticket system on the calibre home site. You can raise a ticket for a new feature or browse existing tickets. Items raised in the forum tend to get lost amongst the flood of messages - the ticket system keeps track of such things.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
im going to try this...my only fear is i will have to drag individual files over. I like the idea of a sync feature that is highlighted in other posts for the future.

I guess what I am fighting is the fundamental issue of Calibre creating duplicates. If all was easy I could drag the whole SD folder over and Calibre would know what files it already has and only add new files...im not sure if it does that. I have time tomorrow so I will play around with it.
Calibre will gladly create a second identical entry if you "add" the same book.

I actually think this is something of a good thing, and have used this feature to compare the display of books produced by different format/conversion/output sources.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote