Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Question 2 Kindles - Same Account - Reading the same book.

My GF and each have a Kindle 2 on the same Amazon account. If we are both reading the same Amazon book will the last place read sync over automatically to the other Kindle? Or does that have to be manually done via Settings/Sync on the Kindle?

The reason I ask is this. I got my K2 yesterday and started reading the User Guide up to page 10 and stopped. When my GF started her K2 later that day and opened the User Guide it opened on where I left off on my K2.

I dont remember syncing my K2 after starting the User Guide. But I must have correct? Or does the Syncing happen automatically?
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I hope that's not the case. Sometimes my husband and I like to read the same thing at the same time so we can talk about it. That would drive me nuts if it didn't give me the option not to synch or if I had to keep my wireless off until I finished the book.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
kilofox
Connoisseur

Found the answer.... please disregard.

I am a sufferer of I-dont-need-to-read-the-manualitis
Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
kilofox
Connoisseur

From the User Guide.

If you read the same Kindle Store book across multiple Kindles, you’ll find Whispersync makes it easy for you to switch back and forth. Whispersync synchronizes the bookmarks and furthest page read among devices registered to the same account.

Whispersync is on by default to ensure a seamless reading experience for a book read across multiple Kindle devices. If you would like to turn Whispersync off, follow these steps:

1. Go to http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle
2. At the bottom of the page, look for “Manage synchronization between devices. Learn more.” Select “Learn more.”
3. Select “Turn Synchronization off.”

Once you turn synchronization off, your books will still open to the last page read on that device, but Whispersync will no longer sync bookmarks or the furthest page read with other devices. If you would like to sync the book manually, press the Menu button and select “Sync to Furthest Page Read".
Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
kilofox
Connoisseur

Please note that Whispersync is turned on by default. So if 2 people (same account) are reading the same book on 2 different Kindles, you want to turn Whispersync off... if you dont, then you will run into the problem I had in my original post.
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I wonder if you could have it on between some devices and off between others. Right now I would just want it off, but if they add support for other mobile devices, like my smartphone, I would like to establish partnerships between devices. I would want my books to synch with my phone and my husband's to synch with his. I only have two Kindles on the account right now so if there are more detailed options, they wouldn't apply to me yet.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
mimiandchichi
mimiandchichi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Synching between 2 kindles

I have an opposite problem. I have kindle 1 and 2 and they don't synch automatically. I checked "manage your kindle" page to make sure that synchronization is ON. It was on...but if I want to go to the furthest page, I have to actually go to the menu and do 'sync to furthest page read'.
Also, if I just finish reading and turn off the machine, the other kindle won't recognize the last page on another.

I called Amazon and nobody knew what I was talking about and when I emailed the customer service, they told me that I need to do 'sync' function before I turn off one kindle.

I'm just so confused right now. Does anyone have any solution?

Thanks!
mimiandchichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

if in K1, you actually flip the switch to off, then K1 may not have a chance to back up the last page read on the server. I use Alt-Font usually rather than power switch in K1.

For K2, if you are just using your power slider to put K2 into screensaver, then you should be fine.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
mimiandchichi

still doesn't work...

So you don't really have to go to the menu and do manually SYNC, correct?
As a test, I just let it sleep and tried it and still won't come back to the same spot.

hmmm...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

if when you go through the menu, the result is what you expected... then, i smell a bug. Because its supposed to be automatic once you turn on sync on your manage-your-kindle and have wireless on both of your devices.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
mimiandchichi

Great, so I wasn't going crazy then...

What I don't get is that tech support for Kindle didn't even know this feature existed. And another one who sent me the email said...
--------------------------------------------
If you own multiple Kindles, Whispersync makes it easy to synchronize the furthest page read in
your book and your bookmarks among your devices. With Whispersync turned on, you can start
a book on your Kindle, and pick up where you left off on your Kindle 2.

To keep your Kindles in sync, every time you finish reading on one you will need to use the sync function which will then sync the other device to where you are leaving off.

I hope this information was helpful.
-------------------------------------------------

So, if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't sound automatic, right?
But everywhere I read about it, it sure sounds automatic!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
stevenmoy
Zealot

I don't have the Kindle User Guide handy, so I can't pinpoint the exact instruction (try search on your kindle to have it find it for you =D). If you find it, cut and paste that for your ticket to customer service. CS may still be a little green since the Kindle 2 just hit the streets not that long ago.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
ahhh....that explains the strange happenings on our K1s.

My mom reported trying to start books and them opening to the middle. She said "I guess we can't read books at the same time" and I said "Yes, we can".

They should have mentioned this to K1 users when they pushed the upgrade...its not like the feature is that noticeable on the Manage Your Kindle page...in fact, I had to look for it twice even after seeing it mentioned here.

I also think rolling it out with the default to "On" was a bad idea since it wasn't there before and I think most people with multiple Kindles have multiple users.

Anyway, mystery solved
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
The link was playing hide and seek. It finally showed up and I turned the synch off. Thank goodness, it was driving me nuts! (Kindle 1 owner)

Last edited by MonaLS; 02-26-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: clarification
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Thanks for the heads up op, I was ignorant of this feature as well, and I was in much the same situation as you. I find I almost always regret not reading the manual promptly.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote