Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #376
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_2203 View Post
However it wasn't considered theft few months ago when the NoAdsPatch was developed.
Well, it was by some, and not by others. But there was no clear guideline about how such posts are to be handled back then, so they were tolerated, even if many moderators were against them.

Anyway, if you want to discuss the policy (or see some dissenting opinions), you can do so in this thread.

OK, off-topic parenthesis closed.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #377
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well, you can't buy the ad-free Touch from Amazon anymore, correct? I bought a used one, with ads. I hate that I would have to pay to get them off, when I didn't buy it from Amazon.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #378
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Well, you can't buy the ad-free Touch from Amazon anymore, correct? I bought a used one, with ads. I hate that I would have to pay to get them off, when I didn't buy it from Amazon.
The person that bought it originally from Amazon did not pay for it either. Since it is not the full working Kindle you intended to buy, you should have asked for a $20 discount from the seller.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #379
DocSouth
DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Paperwhite
Hey y'all, I'm a complete and utter novice when it comes to this kind of thing. I have a Paperwhite, paid the $20 to remove ad support, but after 2 months, I'm so tired of these screensavers I could scream. I decided to try to jailbreak it, but ran into a snag, I have been very diligent to install updates to firmware as they released and I'm currently running 5.3.3.

I realize I need to downgrade then upgrade to install the jailbreak. I looked through the threads I could find, and finally found a how to guide involving a K2. I downloaded 5.3.1 onto my PC, then plugged in my kindle. opened the root file and transferred 5.3.1 over. disengaged my kindle, opened settings, selected update your kindle. nothing happened.

So I went back, downloaded 5.1.0 onto my pc, plugged in kindle, removed 5.3.1 from root file (which I assume is the file the pops up when I open the kindle after plugging it in. That is where I put some calibre info, which works wonderfully.) I then added the 5.1.0.bin. disengaged kindle, settings, now Update Your Kindle is greyed out.

What do I do next? I'm trying to learn here, but old dog, new tricks. If you guys could help me, or point me towards a guide, that would be great. I know this is probably terribly intuitive, but I'm afraid computers and I don't always get along. I'm willing to learn though!
Thanks,
Doc
DocSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #380
DocSouth
DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Paperwhite
Restart is important. Disregard my previous post please gang.
DocSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #381
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSouth View Post
Restart is important. Disregard my previous post please gang.
Correct - the complete image files can only be installed by the kernel running in "early user space" -
The only way to get there is to re-boot the machine.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #382
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The person that bought it originally from Amazon did not pay for it either. Since it is not the full working Kindle you intended to buy, you should have asked for a $20 discount from the seller.
An interesting idea. I did know it had ads when I bought, however. I was just sharing my crankiness. Shouldn't there be an expiration date on these ad supported things? Do they gain income from these ads even 2 years later? Who knows.

I did pay to get the ads off my PW and put on my own screen savers. I may do it for the Touch. Haven't decided. Personal screen savers are cool.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #383
ap0lo
ap0lo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, thanks for the great job!

I have successfuly jailbroken my Kindle Paperwhite WiFi.
I have a problem, though, and I would like to know if the jailbreak can solve it.

I bought this Kindle first, and it came with a dead pixel.
Then I contacted Amazon Support and they replaced it. Actualy, they gave me another and said that I could keep the defective one.

However, as a consequence, I cannot register my device. It is as if it was banned, I don't know...
Everytime I try to register I get the "Internal-Error" message.

Is there any workaround to this problem?

Thank you guys.
ap0lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #384
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Which one ?
The old one? (it is banned)
The new one? (call customer service)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #385
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like the old one. Amazon always blacklists the defective unit if they don't want it back.

That Paperwhite will still function normally, BUT since you can't register it has not all functionality. DRMed books cannot be read, no access to cloud, no collections, no more spying of Amazon (???). The collections can be useable again if you use CM (I believe) even on non-registered Kindle. Sounds like a good unit to take out hiking, hunting, and traveling. If you break it, drop it into the water, get it stolen - no big loss.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #386
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Ap0lo, if you don't want the defective one I bet twobob would love to have it for testing!
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #387
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Hi everyone. This is my first post in the kindle-specific forum here at mobileread. I have been reading a lot about the kindles, but there are a lot more information in the forums that I have not read. The questions I am about to ask has probably been answered earlier, but I have not been able to find good answers.

I've just got my new paperwhite, and I'm loving it. I've sideloaded a few books and started reading. And all the time when I read, the kindle is whispering to me: "liberate me ex inferis". It is not whispersyncing, since I have not yet let it connect to the internet. So to make it be quiet, I liberated it. It is now running stock firmware 5.3.1. The jailbreak log shows no errors or warnings.

The kindle has not yet had access to the internet, but when I let it, it will automatically update to the newest firmware, right? Is there a way to prevent that? I mean, if it works, why "fix" it...

If I need to upgrade the firmware, the jailbreak will be preserved, but everything else™ will be removed. Will everything else™ be reinstalled if I jailbreak it again after upgrade, or do I have to be creative after an upgrade?
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #388
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Iznogood-
The first post here states what you need to reinstall after you update to fw 5.3.3 (bright blue statements about what must be reinstalled)... If you have any other hacks installed, you will need to reinstall them as they likely did not survive the update.
If you install the Back Door Lock hack either through KUAL or as stand-alone you will not have to worry about updates being pushed down to your PW and so can turn on/use wifi with no worries.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #389
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Talking Oh... look who's there!

Hmmm... just found this while looking through the ixtab.tk logs:

72.21.217.98 - - [06/Mar/2013:16:01:43 -0600] "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.1" 200 52 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; AMZNKAssocBot/4.0 +http://affiliate-program.amazon.com)"

Now... Should I be proud, amused, or worried?

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #390
DuckieTigger
Wizard

You should filter that. And Amazon gets: Unfortunately the source code is not availlable, you show me yours, I show you mine.