Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Looking for colour light adjustment in a reader for night reading.

I asked this question without a response in another thread. I'll just put it out to the broader audience to see if anyone has any information.

I was asked by a naturopath, who wants a reader, to research the light emitted from them because blue light has a direct affect upon the melatonin levels in the body which affects circadian physiology, alertness, and cognitive performance levels.

Strangely, I found this study which points to the need to design a computer screen with a spectral profile that can be individually programmed to add timed, essential light information to the circadian system in humans.

I say strange because I found the study half hour after I downloaded a program for the Mac that modifies the computer screen with a spectral profile that can be individually programmed to add timed, essential light information to the circadian system in humans. Its really quite good. If you have a Mac i recommend it. They have a version for jail broken iPads.

So my question is does anyone know of any other light emitting readers that can be programmed similarly, so night reading doesn't make you drowsy or is the jail broken iPad the only example?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
So my question is does anyone know of any other light emitting readers that can be programmed similarly, so night reading doesn't make you drowsy or is the jail broken iPad the only example?
Any suitably customisable reading app will allow you to adjust the fore and background colours.
Stanza and BlueFire for the iPad do, Moon+ for Android does. (I assume BlueFire for Android does as well, but haven't used it.)
I don't know of one that changes automatically for you.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Any suitably customisable reading app will allow you to adjust the fore and background colours.
Stanza and BlueFire for the iPad do, Moon+ for Android does. (I assume BlueFire for Android does as well, but haven't used it.)
I don't know of one that changes automatically for you.
Thanks Murray. I knew we'd get a result in this thread.

That's very useful. I'd been thinking global rather than individual reading app. I just checked out your suggestion. Interestingly, Apples flagship reading app only let's you choose sepia and white on black.

I'll let the naturopath do the reader app comparisons. Blue reader lets you adjust the colours any way you want.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Some reader apps (epub) will not change the text colour if it is coded to black. I had this with Coolreader, Kobo, and Lumiread on android;Stanza and Bluefire reader on iOS. The epubs came from various sources. I don't know if any of the apps have fixed this or not. It's kind of disconcerting to set your nightmode up to white text on a black screen, and have the app show a completely black page
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I use f.lux on my laptop and have been trying to find something similar for android but the apps I've tried so far don't cut it. Changing the colors in the reader app doesn't do the trick. I, too, am very interested in finding more options for color temp adjustment. Currently I tape a piece of yellow/orange tissue to my eluminator light that I use with my Sony T1. The light is already in the warm spectrum but not by much.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
The Nook app for the iPad allows you to choose the font and background colors.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Ok, just found this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.flux#?t=W10. for android.

Haven't tried it yet.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Ok, just found this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.flux#?t=W10. for android.

Haven't tried it yet.
I just tried that one and Screen Adjuster. Sun filter seems to have better contrast preservation but Screen Adjuster has a "tap on / tap off" widget option and I can also stop it from the status bar, whereas sun filter requires opening the settings to turn it off. I'll use them both for a bit and see which one feels better at bedtime.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
wannabee
Media Bloke

Thanks folks, some really useful feedback. I remember you can screen print a clear material that adheres itself to glass. Maybe a coloured screen protector would do the trick for readers that don't have coloured screens or accept apps.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
The f.lux author says on the web site that an Android version is in the works.

A color correction gel is a nice alternative - good idea. A CTO (color temperature orange) filter is what is needed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_correction Cut it to fit over the screen at night, and remove it during the day.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Light Wedge Night Vision book light used red LEDs instead of the usual white. I'm not sure if it's still being made.

http://www.amazon.com/Lightwedge-Nig.../dp/0972970142
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Some reader apps (epub) will not change the text colour if it is coded to black. I had this with Coolreader, Kobo, and Lumiread on android;Stanza and Bluefire reader on iOS. The epubs came from various sources. I don't know if any of the apps have fixed this or not. It's kind of disconcerting to set your nightmode up to white text on a black screen, and have the app show a completely black page
A lot of Word converted eBooks have the text color set. It's because whoever made the eBook from the Word document has no clue how to do it correctly or it was an eBook that came from Smashwords where Word is the source and garbage is the output.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #13
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think you mean readers, I think you mean tablets.
Readers are monochromatic and the ones with front lights do not have the choice of color in their light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I don't think you mean readers, I think you mean tablets.
Readers are monochromatic and the ones with front lights do not have the choice of color in their light.
Thank Quexos. Everyone's comments have assisted me. I have some good material to hand in and whether we're talking readers, tablets or smart phones, there are solutions to viewing the wrong wavelengths for the particular time of day you are reading in this thread's posts.

Tags
circadian rhythm, color, colour, frequency, melatonin