Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Moby24
Moby24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Question My kindle Keyboard NEEDS your expertise!

I was given a non-functional Kindle Keyboard. It was never used, never registered, actually it was never taken out of the box for over a year. I left it on a wall charge for 20 hours, and it will not boot up. I did the "hold the power button for 20-30 sec. reset" and no luck. The Kindle begins to load, but stops at 25% every time. I tried the 'three finger reboot' to RESET the system back to factory settings, but still no luck. It continues to stop loading at 25%. The only way I can access the drive, when connected via USB, is through RECOVERY MODE.
Is there ANYTHING I can do to make this device functional? Is there other software I can install? -The device doesn't even have to work like a Kindle. I just want it to work.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Moby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Maybe can it be rescued with Kubrick https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206064 from the developer corner.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sounds like you got a Lemon! I would suggest you contact Amazon Explain you never took it out of the box til now its now working. Even out of warenty they may still replace it.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The OP got a second hand Kindle that hasn't been charged in over a year.

Amazon CS might take pity on him. It's worth a try, but I wouldn't count on it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby24 View Post

I was given a non-functional Kindle Keyboard. It was never used, never registered, actually it was never taken out of the box for over a year.
The worst thing you can do to any battery is to let it go dead and leave it that way for an extended period. Try that with your car battery and you'll see. That ruins batteries.

In the case of an electronic device with a lithium ion battery, such as the Kindle, there's an additional issue. Lithium ion batteries become dangerous to recharge if they become dead. Doing so can cause them to catch fire or even explode. To prevent that they have circuitry that, once they've gone completely dead, won't let them take any charge.

The battery university website has a detailed write-up on caring for lithium ion batteries and part of that is an explanation of that problem. It's worth reading.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Your best bet is see if Amazon will offer a discount on a replacement. Sometimes they do that. If not, you might look for a replacement battery. Newpower99.com has them as do other sites. They include the tools you need and a video showing how to replace it.

If you don't do that I'd take the Kindle to a place that takes in old batteries and safely disposes of them. Walmart used to do that. I guess they still do. Other places do it, also. Lithium is dangeruos stuff. You don't want to just toss it in the trash.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
jruschme
jruschme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Your best bet is see if Amazon will offer a discount on a replacement.
My wife's out-of-warranty KK died recently (screen lines). Amazon offered a series of discounts on refurb Kindles. We ended up going with a refurb Paperwihte 1st gen Wifi/3G for $129.
jruschme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
Ian.M
Connoisseur
Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle 3 GB 3G
Try running it connected to a USB charger. Since it initially boots, that should provide enough power to eliminate the possibility of a weak battery.

It sounds like a good candidate for a motherboard transplant from a broken screen Kindle off Ebay. [here]'s a detailed writeup by someone who did that successfully.

Don't take the whole K3 for disposal. With a good screen, its worth about $30 upwards for parts. Li-ion batteries that have been discharged past 2V/cell are not to be trusted, and disposal may be the correct choice for the battery once removed from the unit, but as you don't know if it ever got that low and it seems to take a charge, I'd keep it for now and see how long it runs a working K3.

Last edited by Ian.M; 01-11-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Ian.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Amazon CS might take pity on him. It's worth a try, but I wouldn't count on it.
It's not a question of asking for pity. It's a question of exercising your statutory rights.

If you can't charge the battery, you can't use the device. If a product can't do the job for which it is intended, the vendor has an obligation to replace or repair it.

The fact that the device has been sitting in its box for a year doesn't change that - unless the vendor made it clear at the outset that the device had to be charged within a given time. As far as I know, there is nothing in Amazon's advertising which states that.

Nor does the existence of a warranty change anything. A warranty doesn't override your statutory rights. It's true that there is a limitation on the period of time during which you can make a claim against the vendor. That period will vary from one jurisdication to another (where I live, it's six years). I don't know the country in which the OP purchased the Kindle, but it's likely that the period is more than a year.

Mike

Last edited by Mike L; 01-11-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
It's not a question of asking for pity. It's a question of exercising your statutory rights.

If you can't charge the battery, you can't use the device. If a product can't do the job for which it is intended, the vendor has an obligation to replace or repair it.

The fact that the device has been sitting in its box for a year doesn't change that - unless the vendor made it clear at the outset that the device had to be charged within a given time. As far as I know, there is nothing in Amazon's advertising which states that.

Nor does the existence of a warranty change anything. A warranty doesn't override your statutory rights. It's true that there is a limitation on the period of time during which you can make a claim against the vendor. That period will vary from one jurisdication to another (where I live, it's six years). I don't know the country in which the OP purchased the Kindle, but it's likely that the period is more than a year.

Mike
He didn't purchase the Kindle, He states in his OP it was given to him.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
He didn't purchase the Kindle, He states in his OP it was given to him.
I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

But it doesn't change my argument. It would be up to the original purchaser to seek redress. That's got to be better than relying on the vendor "take pity on him".

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The OP hasn't logged on since the day he posted the query. I'm thinking he's not all that interested in a response.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The worst thing you can do to any battery is to let it go dead and leave it that way for an extended period. Try that with your car battery and you'll see. That ruins batteries.

In the case of an electronic device with a lithium ion battery, such as the Kindle, there's an additional issue. Lithium ion batteries become dangerous to recharge if they become dead. Doing so can cause them to catch fire or even explode. To prevent that they have circuitry that, once they've gone completely dead, won't let them take any charge.

The battery university website has a detailed write-up on caring for lithium ion batteries and part of that is an explanation of that problem. It's worth reading.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Your best bet is see if Amazon will offer a discount on a replacement. Sometimes they do that. If not, you might look for a replacement battery. Newpower99.com has them as do other sites. They include the tools you need and a video showing how to replace it.

If you don't do that I'd take the Kindle to a place that takes in old batteries and safely disposes of them. Walmart used to do that. I guess they still do. Other places do it, also. Lithium is dangeruos stuff. You don't want to just toss it in the trash.

Barry
There are places in many towns that take in old electronics for recycling as well. My local place charges by the pound though that shouldn't be a problem with such a small thing as a kindle I'd guess.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
developers corner, kindle keyboard, repair, root