Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #121
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
issybird of the pensive avatar, I swear one of us must have unrealised ESP. I kid you not, I was thinking how nice it would be if a group of us tackled a famous difficult classic every so often together like we're doing with the Iliad, and for the last few days have been pondering suggesting that perhaps we could do it on a seasonal timeline at least for 2012 if there's interest, i.e. one every three months. I didn't have any particular books in mind, but I like your suggestions.

Anyway, you can take all that to say, of course I'm for it for 2012 if others are. And if they're not, well I'll be (hopefully) reading two of the four this year regardless.
Hah! Let's keep it under advisement; I'm game and there must be others out there.

Let me explain that the books I named were mostly out of the natural progression of epics, as it seemed to me, from The Iliad to Ulysses. The Odyssey as the follow-up story to The Iliad and the direct inspiration for Ulysses, and The Aeneid as another tale of a wanderer after the Trojan War. But if we're going to get serious about this, I realize that may make it too classic-heavy and epic-heavy for some tastes, and perhaps mixing it up a bit would be better. On the other hand, I'd hate to see it become more about the selection process than the actual reading. Not that that would ever happen here at MR.

I'm very fond of the notion of tackling a difficult work by reading it slowly and discussing it while in the process. Partially because people want time for other reading, but also because I think trying to "gulp" a harder work, as if it were a detective story or a romance, is both to miss a lot and to set oneself up for possible failure.

I'm looking forward to the discussion of The Iliad and hope that it lives up to the initial interest.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #122
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Let me explain that the books I named were mostly out of the natural progression of epics, as it seemed to me, from The Iliad to Ulysses. The Odyssey as the follow-up story to The Iliad and the direct inspiration for Ulysses, and The Aeneid as another tale of a wanderer after the Trojan War.
Yes, it makes sense to me and I like it.

Quote:
But if we're going to get serious about this, I realize that may make it too classic-heavy and epic-heavy for some tastes, and perhaps mixing it up a bit would be better.
The point would be famous difficult classics yes? So I don't see classic-heavy being a problem. Maybe ancient-heavy if that's what you meant, and also yes perhaps epic-heavy, but I like that there'd be a theme to it for the year. And honestly, though it be ancient, I'm finding the Iliad very lively and plain for a book written so long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
On the other hand, I'd hate to see it become more about the selection process than the actual reading. Not that that would ever happen here at MR.

Honestly, in the way you've put it, I like how it'd be pretty different from a book club, or different from our book clubs anyway. It'd only be seasonal and a bit more in-depth with the discussion since we'd discuss chunks at a time. Plus, as you've already suggested the reads for the year, there's obviously no need for nominations or votes or all that.

Even if you hadn't already suggested the reads for the year, if I had posted the idea I had first I was going to suggest we all whoever is interested just discuss it and hopefully there's a general consensus on what to read, and if not then you (if you're going to lead this thing) just sort of make an executive decision. In this endeavour we shall ban nominations and polls!

Quote:
Let's keep it under advisement; I'm game and there must be others out there.
We'll see what happens. Certainly, if this doesn't happen, I have enough other stuff on my plate to keep me busy this year!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #123
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like the idea of a progressive read/discussion on some of the bigger and more challenging works. For this particular year, the Illiad etc.. are not really tickling my fancy, but I'd be interested in some Russian classics - in particular Dostoyevsky. I think he's one author that I'd like to read and discuss with others.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #124
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about in the nominations and voting threads, in addition to listing store availability (Inkmesh), we start listing library availability?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #125
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about in the nominations and voting threads, in addition to listing store availability (Inkmesh), we start listing library availability?
I agree in theory but I think it's too variable to be useful. My library has a truly dismal selection compared to what I've seen discussed.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #126
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I agree in theory but I think it's too variable to be useful. My library has a truly dismal selection compared to what I've seen discussed.
I see your point, but...

My two ebook libraries are often missing ebooks. At one, when I ask, they almost always add it within a week. The other one is slower, so I don't bother asking (but they did add a few when I asked in the past).

Since Inkmesh seems so U.S. centric, and the Amazon/B&N/Sony links seem so U.S. centric, why not add the Overdrive link so people will know and ask to add them to their libraries?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #127
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have no problem with members mentioning libraries from which nominated books can be checked out, but I'm not about to start making even more work for myself. It's hard enough just finding booksellers when Inkmesh doesn't come through. Keeping all the nominations straight is hard enough as it is; I'm not going to add to the confusion.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #128
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I'm reading this months selection, The Shadow of the Wind, and I'm really enjoying it. But it seems to me that there is a hole in the categories? I've read a couple of similar books, that don't really seem to fall into any current category:

The Shadow of the Wind
The Kite Runner
In One Person

Maybe we could replace one of the classic months with something more generic. How about a fiction month?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #129
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Contemporary Fiction? This month has always been my favourite month for participating. I had suggested Award Winners for a category to replace the second Classics month, but that discussion went nowhere.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #130
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
...why not add the Overdrive link so people will know and ask to add them to their libraries?
Just saw this and I know that it is an old discussion, but just as a heads up, there is no way to track Overdrive availability of a particular eBook in libraries.

Libraries purchase rights to eBooks through Overdrive, but do not have access to the entire database. Different libraries will have different books based on their selection process, budget, etc. While Overdrive may offer the book, it will not necessarily be purchased by local libraries, therefore impossible to track availability, even if our awesome WT Sharpe were able to try.

Naming particular libraries will not help as we are all from different parts of the world and unlikely to have access to the named library's Overdrive collection.

Wow...sorry to go on so long. Guess my library's Overdrive collection not having this month's selection frustrated me more than I thought. Especially since they do have the sequel...oh well....
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #131
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Contemporary Fiction? This month has always been my favourite month for participating. I had suggested Award Winners for a category to replace the second Classics month, but that discussion went nowhere.
I'd second an Award Winners nomination!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #132
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookatarian View Post
Just saw this and I know that it is an old discussion, but just as a heads up, there is no way to track Overdrive availability of a particular eBook in libraries.

Libraries purchase rights to eBooks through Overdrive, but do not have access to the entire database. Different libraries will have different books based on their selection process, budget, etc. While Overdrive may offer the book, it will not necessarily be purchased by local libraries, therefore impossible to track availability, even if our awesome WT Sharpe were able to try.

Naming particular libraries will not help as we are all from different parts of the world and unlikely to have access to the named library's Overdrive collection.

Wow...sorry to go on so long. Guess my library's Overdrive collection not having this month's selection frustrated me more than I thought. Especially since they do have the sequel...oh well....
And to play devil's advocate...

Then why are links to book stores included? This is an international forum, just because a book is available in one country, doesn't mean that it is available in all countries.

Giving the link to overdrive is just a nudge that reminds people that the ebook may be available to their libraries. If people are using their elibraries, they are probably aware of their limitations, and are probably aware of whether it is worth while to pursue requesting the ebook.

Anyway, since WTSharpe says this isn't going to happen, the point is moot.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #133
Bookatarian
Zealot

Quote:

Then why are links to book stores included? This is an international forum, just because a book is available in one country, doesn't mean that it is available in all countries.
That reminds me of my futile search for books by Wilbur Smith (some years ago)...only published in the UK at the time and not even listed in our book store databases. First time ever I realized not all books were available everywhere.

My latest problem is the inability to purchase the UK version of the HP series...digital versions of books should be available worldwide.

This could be a whole 'nother discussion, true?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #134
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookatarian View Post

This could be a whole 'nother discussion, true?
True. And I didn't mean to open up that discussion.

But your argument seemed to be that since overdrive doesn't work for everyone, then why include the link at all? Just like the ebook store links: they don't work for everyone, so why are they included?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #135
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

Giving the link to overdrive is just a nudge that reminds people that the ebook may be available to their libraries. If people are using their elibraries, they are probably aware of their limitations, and are probably aware of whether it is worth while to pursue requesting the ebook.

Anyway, since WTSharpe says this isn't going to happen, the point is moot.
I don't mind at all if people mention links to overdrive or other lending libraries in their posts.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote