Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2022, 04:38 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
It pays to shop around

I really enjoyed Arika Okrent's In the Land of Invented Languages, so decided to buy her new book Highly Irregular. The Kobo price in my store works out at about $0.75US more expensive than the Kindle price, so I thought I'd take advantage of the Price Match feature.

Then I thought I'd compare the prices on a book she recommended om Twitter, Wanderers, Kings, Merchants - The Story of India through Its Languages by Peggy Mohan. The Kindle price for me is the equivalent of $17US, so I was expecting to see a useful advantage to the Kobo Price Match. Instead, I found that Kobo has the same book at the equivalent of $5.55US! Hence the subject line
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:59 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I always compare Amazon, Google and Kobo prices before I buy something. Unless the price is $/€1, in which case I won't bother to look further.

I never bother with price matching either. Faster to buy where it's cheaper to begin with, because all my purchases go to Calibre anyway.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:10 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I never bother with price matching either. Faster to buy where it's cheaper to begin with, because all my purchases go to Calibre anyway.
I can't think of a single time when Google Books has been the cheapest of the 3, although there have been a few times when a book was only available there. I use price matching only occasionally, to get store credit for when Kobo has a book that Kindle doesn't, or to increase an already favorable price differential on another book. The "+10%" can add up. Over the 3+ years of having a Kobo, I've probably saved enough to pay for half of my Kobo VIP membership in that time. And THAT has saved me more overall, so the few minutes spent each claim have been worthwhile for me.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:20 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I can't think of a single time when Google Books has been the cheapest of the 3, although there have been a few times when a book was only available there. I use price matching only occasionally, to get store credit for when Kobo has a book that Kindle doesn't, or to increase an already favorable price differential on another book. The "+10%" can add up. Over the 3+ years of having a Kobo, I've probably saved enough to pay for half of my Kobo VIP membership in that time. And THAT has saved me more overall, so the few minutes spent each claim have been worthwhile for me.
For me Google was often the cheapest a few years ago, but less these days. Sometimes it still is, though.

Kobo VIP membership isn't available in my country (I just checked). Besides, I'm far too impatient for any membership or VIP programs or points counting anyway.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:55 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have seen times when Google has price matched Amazon. And because Google is ePub, that's a win-win.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:47 PM   #6
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
That was always Toni Tennille's advice.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:49 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I really enjoyed Arika Okrent's In the Land of Invented Languages, so decided to buy her new book Highly Irregular. The Kobo price in my store works out at about $0.75US more expensive than the Kindle price, so I thought I'd take advantage of the Price Match feature.
I learned that lesson recently when I bought three O'Reilly Python books. Learning Python, 5th edition, $46.09 at Amazon and Kobo, $47.99 at Barnes & Noble, $63.99 at Google (?) and $20.96 at eBooks.com. (I also bought the newest versions of Programming Python, and the Python Pocket Reference (by the same author) for similar discounts. Basically all three books for the price of one at the other stores -- and Google's price is just absurd.) I don't know why, but eBooks.com is much cheaper on all O'Reilly books than the others. And you get DRM-free PDFs and ePubs (both formats).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:51 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I wonder if there's a book version of IsThereAnyDeal?
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:58 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
That was always Toni Tennille's advice.
Smokey and the Miracles also recommend it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote