Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Pandigital Novel Now Selling at JC Penny

OK this isn't a duplicate post heh! I've been looking for a place to buy the Pandigital Novel when it comes out. I guess the only online store it is currently available for pre-order at JC Penny. When you put it in your shopping cart it reveals the fact that the item is backordered and isn't expected until 6/23/2010. Just a heads up for people interested. Maybe other retailers will carry it soon?

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...=searchresults

EDIT: Forgot to mention it is selling for $249, which is $50 more than I thought it would sell for... Also, it might be a better investment for the aPad iRobot Android Tablet. You can find them all over eBay right now from $165 to over $200. It seems there is some active customization and a future Android 2.1 version of this device. I found info over on the great new site, SlateDroid.

Last edited by ColdSun; 06-02-2010 at 02:06 AM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
kenm
Enthusiast
kenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, Nook Color, Acer Iconia Tab A500
It looks like it is available now at Kohl's

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstor...:referralID=NA
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Anyone have the specs yet? How much RAM?
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

The only specs I could find were from the FCC site. Here is what I pulled from the User Guide posted at the FCC:

Product Specs
7” Digital TFT LCD Display 600x800 pixels, 220 nits Black case

Compatible Media Sources
Secure Digital™ (SD), MMC

Features
Display digital printed media (eBooks, eMagazines, eNewspapers)
Play digital Audio files
Play digital Video files
Display digital Photo files
Alarm Clock and Calendar
Connect to Wi-Fi networks
Web – check your social networks, stocks or the weather
Send/Receive Email
Display and import directly from SD Card
Automatic rotation of screen orientation
Includes stylus for faster screen navigation
Earphone jack included
Tabletop stand included for convenient hands-free viewing

Compatible File Formats
eBooks
PDF, EPUB
Photo
JPG, JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF (non-animated)
Audio
MP3, WAV, AAC, OGG
Video
MPEG4

USB Ports
Mini USB 2.0

Internal Memory
1GB (rumored White version) , 2GB (rumored Black version)

Wi-Fi Compatible
Yes, built-in Wi-Fi adapter

3G Compatibility
1GB version (white) - rumored NO
2GB version (black) - rumored YES

Audio output
Built-in stereo speakers 2.5mm stereo earphone jack

Power Adapter
5V, 2A

Battery
Rechargeable Li-ion 2800mAh, 3.7V

1GB version should be shipping soon (within a week or two) if it isn't already shipping. Looks like the 2GB version will come out later this summer.

Sorry about the formatting, it was copy/pasted right from the user manual and I cleaned it up a little. Nothing about processor speed. I heard the device was getting an update in the near future that adds Android 2.1 and Market. That's just what one of the videos I found on YouTube stated.

FCC Page on the Pandigital Novel
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...d=%27POTPRD07T

Video Preview 1 from Techlicious Media
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQbOBUP18A

Video Preview 2 from CNET
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLSv3...eature=related

Last edited by ColdSun; 06-05-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 06-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Kenm,

Thanks so much for finding that! It is $50 cheaper than JCPenny. If anyone finds more places to pick this up post it here. This is my father's day present.

Another Spec Found: According to PCWorld, this device uses an ARM11 processor. It has a resistive screen (for this price I think that would be expected). According to the review, it was responded well to screen taps, although not as good as capacitive does.

There was also talk of the device supporting the AT&T Edge network. I'm not really sure what that will do for it, but there it is. There is no 3G in the device either.

I'm very interesting in the thing just for its base functionality, but if the future of the device is true, Android 2.1 and Market, well it could be a steal for the price. Its not going to outperform these Snapdragon processors though.

The initial release supports PDF, EPUB and HTML according to PCWorld.

Last edited by ColdSun; 06-05-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
tank4141
Enthusiast
tank4141 began at the beginning.

Thought you guys might like this deal. I'm getting one on Wed. This is a hell of a device for that price.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...id=0&t=2063286
tank4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
tank4141
Enthusiast
tank4141 began at the beginning.

Also found this on slatedroid

http://slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=649.0

All indications are that this version is the "entry" one that will be available dirt cheap at kmart, kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond (of all places) etc., but that they intend to release in July or August a black 2gb version that is 3g capable. As I understand it, when they release that one, they will firmware up to Android 2.2. I would have waited, but I'm impatient, and want an ereader anyway. With the 15% off coupon (kohls is ALWAYS having a sale, just google for a discount code and you'll find one online somewhere) and 2 gift cards, the price was ridiculously hard to turn down.
tank4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Thanks tank4141! I'm going to update the specs above.

Last edited by ColdSun; 06-05-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have created a wiki page for this Pandigital Novel
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Kenm,

Thanks so much for finding that! It is $50 cheaper than JCPenny. If anyone finds more places to pick this up post it here. This is my father's day present.
ColdSun,

Your best bet is to buy from Kohls. I received a flyer from them the other day. On Wednesday the 9th they ave a sale. The device will be $174.99, then there will be a mail in rebate for $15, making the final price $159.99. If you have one of the 20% coupons that come with the flyer, you can use that making the final cost about $125.99. I went to my local Kohls to see if they would have the device in store next week, but they were clueless and said that I should order online. My coupon is good for online and in store.
Hope that helps.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Vixhen
Vixhen began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
For those of you looking to buy this at Kohls, there is a 30% coupon code out now - SAVEINJUNE (effective 6/9-6/16/10) - got it in the mail on Friday. I'm getting this one too. It's too good of a deal to pass by. Happy reading!
Vixhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Thanks both of you! Me and my wife will be at the local Kohl's tomorrow to pick one up. They have them in stock but won't sell it to me until tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I just read over at The Digital Reader that this device isn't performing so well. Take a look at Nate The Great's first impressions before you buy it. I'm going to hold off until I see more information and read Nate's full review.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...t-impressions/
Old 06-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I purchased a Novel this morning and I love it. Check my post in the e-Book Devices forum for my thoughts so far. I'm going to write a full review later this week.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86132

Last edited by ColdSun; 06-07-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:15 AM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Jeez. The Kohl's page is gone already!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote