Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
K guys, tell me what to do

Since my puzzle nightmare has corrupted my phone and ereader I am truely going mad

When I plug my reader one of 2 things happen:

1. Nothing
2. It will start to go and then just stop

You know how when you plug something into ur computer it makes that little highpitched noise? Then when you unplug it same noise but lower pitch? With #1 it won't make that noise. With #2 it will make the noise like 5 times. And it will work for like 2 seconds and then it's like my reader unplugged itself.

Sooooooo, what's up?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Flat battery? Try leaving it plugged into a wall charger (NOT a USB connection) overnight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought that too. I plugged it into the wall charger for a couple hours. It's turned on when I plug it in, um, what else? The little USB symbol-guy shows up on the screen. I tried switching the cords, nada. It's like the computer will recognize it for like 10 seconds and then it will "unplug" itself.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

K, just tried doing the same thing I've been doing and...it works. So what the hell is going on? Pardon the language, but it's like hit or miss.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
If I understand you correctly, your Sony charges up completely from a wall charger and works fine as an EReader.

When you plug the USB cable into your computer, it connects for a few seconds and then drops.

What operating system are you using?

It does not sound like anything is wrong with your Sony, but that there is a USB driver problem. Possibly some other device's USB driver (WebCam?) is grabbing it and saying "Not in my town you don't".

If it were me, and I was running Windows XP, Vista, or 7, I would uninstall the Sony Library and Adobe ADE.

I would then install Adobe ADE from:

http://www.adobe.com/products/digita...?promoid=DTEIO

That by itself should let you connect to your Sony, as it includes a USB driver.

If that works, install the Sony Library. Or just use Calibre.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
Lord Hutton
Lord Hutton began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Does your PC/Laptop have another USB port you can try - that is to eliminate a possible faulty port. Also do you have access to another PC to see if it is recognised. Might want to check if your UNPUP service is off (disabled) in your Windows Services - set it to automatic.
Lord Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

I have a Dell and I run Windows XP, or something along those lines. I have 2 usb ports in the front and it seems like when it does work it's only on the one. I tried to use one in the back but no dice. When it does work a bubble pops up that says I'm trying to run a hi speed device on a low speed port and to click this and a list will come up of alternate ports to use. It says they will be in bold. I get a list but none are in bold. I've never gotten that message before tho, so why now?

Damn you, puzzle!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Questions. Did you by chance upgrade your system to XP or did it come pre-installed on your Dell? If you upgraded did you buy an off the shelf version and installed it or did you get your upgrade from Dell? Did you recently upgrade your usb drivers? If yes to either of these questions then that could be your causing your problems. Sometimes off the shelf versions do not upgrade all of your drivers to the correct ones. The Dell version of XP should have contained all of the correct usb drivers. If you recently upgraded your usb drivers go into device manager and see if the old drivers were properly uninstalled. If you still have the older drivers installed they could be conflicting with the new ones. Try uninstalling either the older or newer ones if both are present and see if that takes care of your problem. Hope this helps to solve your usb issues.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You can safely ignore that low speed port message. It just means data transfers would be faster on a high speed port. The device should work on either.

Robert
Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

It definately sounds like a Windows driver problem. If you haven't already done so, I suggest unplugging the cable and Reader and then restarting the computer. Windows sometimes gets confused about ports and a restart helps it sort things out. After it restarts, try plugging in the cable and Reader again.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
Questions. Did you by chance upgrade your system to XP or did it come pre-installed on your Dell? If you upgraded did you buy an off the shelf version and installed it or did you get your upgrade from Dell? Did you recently upgrade your usb drivers? If yes to either of these questions then that could be your causing your problems. Sometimes off the shelf versions do not upgrade all of your drivers to the correct ones. The Dell version of XP should have contained all of the correct usb drivers. If you recently upgraded your usb drivers go into device manager and see if the old drivers were properly uninstalled. If you still have the older drivers installed they could be conflicting with the new ones. Try uninstalling either the older or newer ones if both are present and see if that takes care of your problem. Hope this helps to solve your usb issues.

No, everything's been the same, I haven't upgraded anything (kinda unskilled in that department).

jswinden- "It definately sounds like a Windows driver problem. If you haven't already done so, I suggest unplugging the cable and Reader and then restarting the computer. Windows sometimes gets confused about ports and a restart helps it sort things out. After it restarts, try plugging in the cable and Reader again."

I tried that and it still does the same thing. I unplug the reader and cable and shut down the computer. I turn it back on and wait until everything's done, then I plug in the cable and reader. Sometimes it won't make any sound but a bubble will pop up that says "something about having a problem with new hardware/installing new hardware." Errrrrrghhhhh!!!!!!! I haven't had any problems like this happen. Anyone live close by? Feel like comin over and taking a peek, lol!?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #12
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Unfortunately, it is beginning to sound like either of two problems. Neither one good. You might have had a virus or rootkit installed on your system without your knowledge or your usb host controller or motherboard itself might be going bad. Then again you might just have a bad reader. One last question though. I now you said you have not done any upgrading but which service pack are you running with XP? There have been many problems with usb ports on some systems after they were upgraded to service pack three. It just occurred to me that that might be causing your problem. Also some software installs can do the same thing. Just throwing out another idea or two here.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
rmm200
Groupie

It sounds like you have not tried uninstalling the Sony and Adobe software?

A clean reinstall is the first thing you should try before looking for operating system / hardware problems.

Robert
Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

Okay, I think it's my reader. But how can that be? I've been using it for 1 1/2 months and this has never happened before!

I took my reader into work and tried plugging it into my computer there. A message pops up and when you click on it it says:

USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click here.

Then when I click on the icon it says:

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.
Recommendation: Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device

Soooo.....why now? Was it b/c I tried installing the software for my cell phone and it failed? I tried plugging my phone in and it said I needed the software. I got the disc and tried installing it, then tried syncing up my phone but it asked my for a password (didn't know it) and it said "Sorry, could not sync device" and I couldnn't see my phone anywhere in the computer. Is that what caused this? What do I do now?

Last edited by emonti8384; 02-11-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

I unistalled the software for my phone and it still does the same thing