Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
bookie
bookie began at the beginning.

Device: nokia
Question real time use of cyBook

hi all
I'm wondering what the actual real use time with one battery charge is for the CyBook. This is prompted by discussions of the BeBook, whose stipulated battery life of 7000 page flips turns out to be more like 1300, according to posts on the forum on the beBok website.
Can anyone confirm that for one battery charge 8000 page turns are available on the Cybook, assuming it's used as one would in the world ie probably turned off and on at least 40 times to read that number of pages?
Any experiences with battery life greatly welcome.
thanks for your help
bookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I'm sure others will jump in with more technical/accurate information but here is my take. The 8000 page turns is actually 8000 screen refreshes, so every time you look at a menu or start up the Cybook or flip between pages of eBooks in your library you are using up some of your "page turns." I have never counted the number of refreshes I get, but I do know that I get at least a week of reading time out of a single charge.

I read at least 2 hrs a day every day, on the weekends or holidays this could go up to 4 or 5 hrs a day. I recently went on holiday for a week, I had a fully charged Cybook when I left, read 3 eBooks and part of a 4th, and still had some charge left when I got home. This meets my needs in an eBook reader.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
how many page flips you get also depends on your firmware. i didn't upgrade mine since i was happy with everything, but i've heard other firmwares mean less frequent charges.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
The 8,000 page turns is one of those useless market numbers that all the vendors like to quote. It appears to be a number from e-ink for just the screen and controller and ignores the power required for the processor and memory for text rendering. Bookeen has been making firmware changes that impact the battery life.

If I never power off the device i was getting 4 full days but the battery died on me once on the 4th day so I started charging it every 3 days.

If I power the device off between reading sessions I got up to 13 days but sometime only 10 days. When I use it in this mode I charge it once a week so I don't forget.

I'm on a 3 day business trip and didn't bother taking my charger with me. If I go on a one week vacation I would take a charger but I use the same one that I use for my iPod so it's just one extra USB cable.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
bookie

thanks for your speedy replies everyone. my question relates to being away from power for a couple of weeks. it seems more useful to know how many hours reading time would one get with one battery charge? I guess a second battery would help here..
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
You can buy spare batteries and change them but the battery compartment has a very tiny screw head on it. It's not something that I would want to be changing in a campsite. It's possible but you'd need to right screwdriver and you'd have to be very careful.

I would personally look at an external solar charger or a charger that uses regular batteries.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can comfortably get a week's worth of reading from a battery charge on my CyBook (I turn it off after I finish reading), but probably not two weeks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 AM   #8
bookie

thanks Harry - roughly how many hours and page refreshes do you estimate that would be in a week?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
From what I remember, I think I could get something like 2-3'000 page reads between charges while reading a few hours each day.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookie View Post
thanks Harry - roughly how many hours and page refreshes do you estimate that would be in a week?
Roughly 2h a day. Perhaps 500 page turns a day, let's say 3000-ish in a week.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Roughly 2h a day. Perhaps 500 page turns a day, let's say 3000-ish in a week.
that's over four page turns a minute - do u really go as fast as that? must be hard on the thumb.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I wouldn't call reading 4 pages a minutes particularly fast, so yes, I reckon that's probably about right.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

as I have come to understand the way eink screens work, a page turn is actually two actions. the first clears the current image on the screen and the second shows the new content. so, maybe the question is how do the makers define a page turn? maybe a lot of them are counting each action when providing the quoted number. so, 8000 page turns is really 4000 actual page viewings. this would seem more consistent with the numbers people seem to be reporting here and other places i fine while deciding what reader to buy.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The maximum number of page turns is just pure "marketing hype". It's a figure quoted by PVI, the screen manufacturer. All it means is that if you fully charged up the reader, and then turned the page as fast as it would go until the battery was flat, that's roughly how many page turns you'd get. It means virtually nothing for "real world" usage of the device. Given that all 6" devices use the same screen from the same production line at PVI, there's nothing whatsoever to differentiate the screens used by the different manufacturers of 6" eBook readers.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #15
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Another comment on over-stated page turns.

I tend to re-read books a fair amount. Sometimes I read them in detail the second time, but other times I quickly flip pages through the 'boring' parts and get to the good stuff. The way that e-ink works (page turns not reading time) I burn through the battery much quicker when skimming.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote