Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Wink Recipe for a Hebrew website

I'm looking for a recipe for http://www.toratemetfreeware.com/online/ (thats the home page, not the actual content). it's not a news site, however it contains thousands of very long html pages in Hebrew.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You will probably have to scrape the site yourself, it's a custom job. Recipes are for constantly changing content, to save on repetitive work. It would require just as much effort to do the first time as it would by hand.

However, it appears they have some EPUBs here: http://www.toratemetfreeware.com/?downloads;10;

Or Davka has an app for iOS or Android. It's a Tanach app, with all the pesukim synchronized between hebrew, english, and Rashi's commentary. It is reflowable and has full search built in. I think I also was an app on the Amazon appstore somewhere which had a full set of Shas (and perhaps Tanach as well?) but I can't remember where.

I'd go for the app, as no e-ink reader I can think of has support for right-to-left languages. Plus a tablet app can do some nice stuff like multi-column display of running translations.

And hey, it seems Artscroll has the Schottenstein English edition of the Gemara available here as well: http://www.artscroll.com/app Of course, Artscroll is (as always) kinda expensive -- $800 for a set of shas, using the full-set discount.

And another page of (Android) app links: http://www.shas.org/category/jewish-.../android-apps/
Or iOS apps: http://www.shas.org/category/jewish-resources/ios-apps/

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-24-2014 at 12:17 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You will probably have to scrape the site yourself, it's a custom job. Recipes are for constantly changing content, to save on repetitive work. It would require just as much effort to do the first time as it would by hand.
Is there a way to download the whole website,or multiple page's in one shot, not page by page.

then i can create one css file for the whole thing. (or a little different for different sections which are formatted differently.)

(the kindle paperwhite second generation supports hebrew, right to left, align justify wirh the last line on the right, tables. but not the best Hebrew font, so I'll embed fonts in calibre)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I guess technically they support RTL, now that they moved to Japan/China, but I did not hear any news about Hebrew, and I remember seeing a thread here about it.... here it is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208808 It seems to be the kind of thing where it will work -- if you're lucky. BUt maybe things have changed since I last saw.

Anyway.... you could try a command-line program like rsync to download a mirror of the whole website -- it will follow links, download all reachable files (including images/css) and save to your hard drive, converting to relative links along the way.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
user743
Addict

Wink if recipes don't work maybe a CSS will.

can someone create a CSS file, which i can apply to any page of the website, to read on my kindle paperwhite second generation?
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
user743
Addict

1. get the htmls from http://ww.toratemetfreeware.com/index.html?dbasis;1;.(i didn't need "rsinc" it's all available for download)
  2. get the css file from http://www.bbebooksthailand.com/bb-CSS-boilerplate.html.
  3. then edit it at http://cssjanus.commoner.com/. so it should display Hebrew properly.
  4. open (calibre portable 1.31.0 > calibre >) "ebook edit" application.
  5. add new blank azw3 file.
  6. import the html and css files, save.
  7. test on my kindle paperwhite. edit the css until it works good.
now use the same css and steps 4, 5 and 6 for the rest of the html files, formatted the same way.

if you want a copy send me a message and tell me what format you want.

Last edited by user743; 04-09-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: content correction

Tags
css, css stylesheet, hebrew