Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Hanging at "Loading CHAPTER X - Page XX"

My Kobo Glo with firmware 2.10.0 keeps hanging at loading when coming out of sleep (after opening the Sleep Cover). Right now it's stuck on a screen that's blank except for the header and footer; the footer says:

Loading CHAPTER 9 - Page 63

It's a sideloaded ePub, converted from a Kindle .azw3 file, on a MicroSD, loaded as a Kepub via Calbire and Joel Goguen's KoboTochExtended (2.2.11) plug in-- but I've seen it happen with other books on this device and on my friend's Glo, too, which doesn't have a MicroSD expansion card installed (but does have 2.10.0), and she was reading a different book.

Sometimes, repeatedly swiping the screen (as in a page turn) wakes it up, but most of the time I have to do a paperclip reset.

Any idea what's going wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 11-14-2013 at 11:37 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There has been a bug in the last two or three firmware versions with kepubs an embedded fonts. If you have the reader fonts set to "Document defaults" you get symptoms like you are seeing. Reopening the book or using the TOC to go to a new chapter triggered the problem. Tapping the screen to bring up the menus and then dismissing them will sometimes fix things. Selecting a font prevented this from happening.

I thought this had been fixed 2.10.0, but maybe it just changed a bit. On 3.0.0, it seems to be taking a lot longer to open a page from the TOC, but eventually it gets there. This is with both a sideloaded kepub and a purchased kepub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Thanks, Davidfor -- but I don't have the font set to "Document defaults." I have it set to Avenir Next.

I've made plain ePub and just dragged it into my Kobo's root directory, so I could get on with reading the book (which is fascinating: WIRED FOR CULTURE: ORIGINS OF THE HUMAN SOCIAL MIND by Mark Pagel).

Very much appreciate your help, and all you do for us here on MobileRead.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
OK, it looks like it is a different problem.

Hmm, I seem to remember suggesting a while ago that the problems you were seeing were deliberate to provide the angst needed to write books. Or, maybe someone at Kobo just wants to read your next book and thinks preventing you from reading will hurry that up!

And thanks for the thanks. I'm glad to be able to help when I can.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre