Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
nikiml
nikiml began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo, kindle 3, sony
Resurecting dead Glo(help needed)

Hi all,

I have had a dead Glo for some time and finally got the courage to open it.

Started by backing up the sd card with dd and got read error.
badblocks showed me that the rootfs is corrupted but the recoveryfs and the koboreader are not.

This would explain why the factory reset did not work.
I backed up the recoveryfs partition and the partition table just in case,
and fixed the bad blocks with "e2fsck -c -c".

the mounted rootfs had only few folders(much less than the recoveryfs),
so I decided to pop the fixed card back in and try the factory reset one more time.

The recovery seemed to work - I checked the md5sums of all files listed in the fs.md5sum and they were all matching, except that I was missing one file in the rootfs: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Gothic MB101.otf.

The problem is that the Glo still does not start.

I cannot find any log files in the rootfs that would give me an idea what is wrong, but I find it unlikely that the device has had 2 hardware failures simultaneously.

I would appreciate any ideas about how to continue.

Can any one post the dump of the sdcard partition table?

pointers to log files, sd card image, etc would be great.
I have read that debian install is possible, has anyone attempted debian install in the rootfs and is that going to reveal any hardware problems.

Thanks in advance
nikiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
The corruption could be in the unallocated area before the first partition, that space actually contains the bootloader and kernel and also other identifying data. I can upload here (there's no restriction on GPL-licensed binaries) both u-boot and the kernel taken from my image, I can't assure you though that those will be compatible with your firmware version.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
A better idea: download the firmware version you're currently running (see here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660 )
extract it and find u-boot and kernel image (called uImage)
then dd those to your sd card with these offsets:

dd if=$UBOOT of=/dev/$DEVICE bs=1K seek=1 skip=1
dd if=$KERNEL of=/dev/$DEVICE bs=512 seek=2048

(taken from the upgrade script in our kobos)
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
nikiml

Thanks for the reply!

I have two questions:
1) how can I find out the version of the currently installed firmware
2) if the initial area is corrupted would the factory recovery boot(which it does)?

also after I tested the 3 partitions and fixed the first I ran badblocks on the whole device and it did not show problems.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
nikiml

I also tried commenting out the line:

/bin/mount -t tmpfs none -o size=16k /var/log

from the etc/init.d/rcS, hoping to see some logs in /var/log on the next boot but there was nothing there
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
nikiml

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
extract it and find u-boot and kernel image (called uImage)
then dd those to your sd card with these offsets:

dd if=$UBOOT of=/dev/$DEVICE bs=1K seek=1 skip=1
dd if=$KERNEL of=/dev/$DEVICE bs=512 seek=2048
ok. so I dd'ed those two files out of the beginning of the sd card and compared them to the u-boot.bin and uImage I found in:

recoveryfs:/upgrade/ntx508/

and they were identical.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
nikiml

by putting debug logging in the /etc/init.d/rcS I could confirm that the script is executed in full, but nothing was visible on the screen and at the end the Glo freezes (judging by the fact that the power button no longer works).

So it seems the nice pattern I have on the screen which I assumed is a result of the Glo freezing during screen refresh, is probably a symptom of a defective screen...
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you plug the Glo into a PC, does it get recognised? You might need to tap the screen in the right place to do the connection.

If not, restoring an image of the whole SD card is probably the way to go. Send me a PM if you want to try.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote