Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Filenames with embedded spaces . . . .
Now that is a really friendly thing to do for the experience level of the intended audience.

Since that filename might be accessed from either windows or linux, why not use a cross-platform name (no whitespace or other special characters)?
Sorry, but I really don't see any spaces.
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@GM: Still no 5.1.1 here, even with an 'Intl' KT W shipped on 5.1.0 sitting with whispernet on ;/. (Huh, that'd be a good thing to know, actually: Do every of the 5.1.1 reports we have come from 3G models, or were there some wifi models too?)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
Sorry, but I really don't see any spaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by script.sh
mntroot ro;
echo "It is safe to delete this document." > "/mnt/us/documents/You are Jailbroken.txt";
sleep 6;
What are those characters between "You" "are" and "Jailbroken" ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Quote:
What are those characters between "You" "are" and "Jailbroken" ?
Sorry, but I think criticizing me for spaces which are enclosed in quotes really isn't on the topic. And I copied that from the Yifan Lu's jailbreak.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Filenames with embedded spaces . . . .
Now that is a really friendly thing to do for the experience level of the intended audience.

Since that filename might be accessed from either windows or linux, why not use a cross-platform name (no whitespace or other special characters)?
Quote:
Sorry, but I think criticizing me for spaces which are enclosed in quotes really isn't on the topic. And I copied that from the Yifan Lu's jailbreak.
Because the Kindle uses the filename as the book title. And purely for aesthetic reasons, I don't want the user seeing You_Are_Jailbroken on their screen. And I did enclose the entire path in quotes so filesystem shouldn't be an issue.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
mmatej
Connoisseur

I've added two additional (mostly used) app packages. Now, if you want to install some, you won't need that old method, simply go to the packages tab and install`em in one click! If you want to comment something, please do, if it's good idea, I'll implement it.

@aditya3098: Also, I think I've found the cause of that "brick". The server jailbreak is currently running on is experiencing networking problems, so if it hanged on the "jailbreaking" screen, you caught that dead time, where networking was lagged. I repeat, this should not brick your Kindle in any case, it only writes to tmpfs and then moves/copies files to their destination, so reboot would "revert" it to original state in case of hang.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The topic is: Web Jailbreak.
The reported reason for a Web Jailbreak is "Installation by no-nothings".

Any name you have to quote to create, the user will have to quote to remove, but:
They will not be enclosed by quotes when the user tries to delete it while using some paths of access.

You just pass that explanation on to the first person who asks how to delete a filename with spaces in it under Linux.
I answered the last such question here, just a few days ago.

Your defense: "I wasn't the first to do it, I copied it."
Still does not sound very friendly towards the intended audience.

Why not some filename that is cross-platform?
JailBroken.txt would do, which in English, has the same meaning as "You are Jailbroken" but has neither spaces nor underscores.

Where by "same meaning" I of course mean for the purpose of user notification.

Last edited by knc1; 07-02-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ok, you have won. I changed the filename. U happy?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #24
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
The topic is: Web Jailbreak.
The reported reason for a Web Jailbreak is "Installation by no-nothings".

Any name you have to quote to create, the user will have to quote to remove, but:
They will not be enclosed by quotes when the user tries to delete it while using some paths of access.
No-nothings will use the UI of the Kindle to remove the file or - when they connect the Kindle with the USB cable - click on it with the mouse and delete it via the standard file manager of their OS.

Why should they use the command line?

Where do you see the problem?
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Where do you see the problem?
With human nature.
Humans are very difficult to interface with and to presume they will follow any specific course of action is prone to failure.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #26
mmatej
Connoisseur

I've added error handling to the jailbreak script, so it's impossible to have Kindle bricked by this tool. I will add reference to the KT wiki for easier accessibility. If you have any ideas, I will be happy to add them!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
I see a problem with human nature, too.
But more a problem of human spite, than a problem with "How to remove that File".
If the bad guys/scriptkiddies see, how easy it is to execute something on the kindle the Kindle Botnet might become not a dream, but a nightmare.

I prefer such code obfuscated.
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #28
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Can you add some fonts for fonthack? Atleast some essentials like Ubuntu?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #29
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaPePeR View Post
I see a problem with human nature, too.
But more a problem of human spite, than a problem with "How to remove that File".
If the bad guys/scriptkiddies see, how easy it is to execute something on the kindle the Kindle Botnet might become not a dream, but a nightmare.

I prefer such code obfuscated.
I think security through obscurity is a very bad idea (also mostly unnecessary). I could have obfuscated / put into the server part / the code used to generate the strings, but the last part have to be run on the Kindle, so simple js breakpoint set in ANY browser could do the trick.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Can you add some fonts for fonthack? Atleast some essentials like Ubuntu?
I don't know.. is the fonthack running well on FW 5.1.0? I can add fonthack package, but if fonts are not packaged as .bin updates, it would not work with the current script, but I could add unpacking archives with absolute paths.