Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
n.k.
n.k. doesn't littern.k. doesn't litter

Device: none
full list of supported css properties?

hi,

i'm looking for a full list of css properties, which are supported by the MOBI format. i found this one, but it doesnt seems to be completed. For example a simple test showed, that the color-attribute is supported but not in this list.

so my question is: is there any list with all supported css attributes?
background: we are from the Stuttgart Media University and need this for studies.

thanks
n.k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's easy:

---- Start of list ----
---- End of list ----

Mobipocket doesn't support any form of CSS. Some Mobi creation tools, such as Mobipocket Creator, Kindlegen, or Calibre, will convert CSS into the appropriate HTML tag attributes that the Mobipocket file format does use, but there is no CSS whatsoever in the Mobi file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
n.k.

what do you mean with the html tags used by the mobipocket format? do you mean the OPF-Document (with htmls), that will be convert to mobi or does mobi integrate html?

and how do they convert css properties like margin or borders to html attributes?!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need to read the Mobi developer docs:

http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...eFolder=prcgen

I mean quite simply there is no CSS. All formatting control is done using attributes specified on the HTML tags themselves. Eg, to leave a 1em space above a paragraph, you say:

<p height="1em">

It's documented in the link I've referenced above.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Would it kill the various mobi creation software manufacturers to explain what css their programs can handle, though? I mean, if Amazon were to put out a concise list explaining exactly what css Kindlegen is capable of converting—and exactly what it will be converted to, frustration levels would drop considerably. It's pretty much trial and error at this stage.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-08-2011 at 02:45 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
n.k.

testing with the css test-suite

hi again,
i was testing the Calibre with the css1 test-suite:

The follow steps i did to test the Calibre CSS support with the w3c css1 test-suite.
1. I saved the w3c-test-suite for CSS1 local with the tool WinHTTracker.
2. With the Calibre (via cmd) i converted the HTML to a MOBI document.
3. The MOBI i converted, again with the Calibre, back to HTML (OEB exactly).
I merged the CSS stylesheet of the test-suite to one big one (original css) and compared with the CSS files of the OEB (after converting). In the doc file you will find a table with all css properties of the test-suite.

Is this a good way testing the Calibre? Are my results realistic?
Attached Files
File Type: doc CSS Test.doc (126.5 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by n.k.; 06-13-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, n.k. I've downloaded your doc file and am working through it to try to get some understanding of what I can reasonably ask calibre to do when converting from ePub to mobi.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
xmlgirl
Enthusiast
xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry, thanks for the link to the list - will be very helpful!

Last edited by xmlgirl; 05-09-2012 at 10:57 AM.
xmlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, format, limitation, supported css