Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Mironet
Mironet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Is there a way to cheat Kindle to show ads outside the US?

Hello,
I live in Europe (the Czech Republic) and I own the new Kindle 4 with Special Offers. Every morning, the new offers show up on my display, but each only once. After 2-3 power cycles, they dissappear and a message "Please connect wirelessly to download the latest Special Offers" comes up instead. I'm aware that this happens, because I'm outside the US and no other country is currently supported. However, to my knowledge, the only way Amazon determines where my Kindle is located should be the billing address (not the Wi-Fi IP address). I have tried to change it in the settings on Amazon.com to a real US address. I have also tried the "Change country" option in Manage My Kindle section. So far no luck. Can anyone throw me a bone here? Is there a way to show the offers outside the US?

(FYI, I don't want to jailbreak, I like the changing screens every day, it gives the kindle a sort of "live" element, even though I probably can't use any of the offers because of the country restrictions. Yeah, I know, I'm weird, right?)

Thanks in advance.
Mironet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
It is using your IP address. You could, one supposes, use a VPN solution on your WiFi router to give yourself a US IP address, but it seems like a fair amount of work to get offers you probably can't use.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Mironet

Indeed it is. Okay, well, I guess that does it. No easy way for me to fix this. Thx anyway.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
dbh2ppa
dbh2ppa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I'm not so sure about this. My KTouch shows ads, and I'm certainly not in the US. It even shows AmazonLocal ads from miami, which is where I had them deliver it to before being forwarded abroad (and where my billing address is, as well).
dbh2ppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Mironet

How long is it since you've left Miami? It took my device approx. two weeks to notice my location (meaning the ads were showing normally for some time right after the initial registration).
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
dbh2ppa
dbh2ppa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It was preordered, I've had it since November, I never was in Miami, I just had them deliver it there to a freight forwarding service, and they sent it to Costa Rica.
dbh2ppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Mironet

Weird. I also have a report from a guy in a nearby country saying that the same thing you do - that the ads work for him even with the local non-US billing address. But then again, I have many more who have the same problem I have. Aah, screw it. What the hell... Too much trouble over nothing...
Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I just got the Kindle3 Keyboard with 3G/WiFi and Special Offers this morning here in Tucson. I had the Kindle Touch with Special Offers and loved the ads, but this K3 has ads from Palm Beach,Florida, Oakland California, Boston, etc. Nothing at all from here in Arizona.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
InsulinJunkie72
Enthusiast
InsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
has ads from Palm Beach,Florida, Oakland California, Boston, etc. Nothing at all from here in Arizona.
My KT is doing the same thing since it last refreshed Special Offers.

I think AmazonLocal is having a (hopefully) temporary glitch.
InsulinJunkie72 is offline   Reply With Quote