Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Beege
Beege began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Sending PDF files to device

I know PDF is a common problem with calibre but can't seem to understand why (or maybe you can?) I can't transfer the PDF book straight to my Sony reader without totally messing up the file. (keeping the original PDF file)
I have to use the sony reader software to transfer PDF books which keeps everything in sync when viewing on my PRS-600. I would like to only use calibre for it's excellent capabilities of changing metadata etc, without messing with the PDF file itself. I tried sending to device - send specific format - selecting PDF, but still converts the PDF to mess it up.

Last edited by Beege; 09-09-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Beege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only way calibre will convert PDF when sending files to a SONY device is if you told it to. You can untell it by going to preferences->plugins and customizing the SONY driver plugin, and adding pdf to the list of supported formats for that device (by default pdf is on that list, so you must have removed it at some time in the past).
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Beege

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The only way calibre will convert PDF when sending files to a SONY device is if you told it to. You can untell it by going to preferences->plugins and customizing the SONY driver plugin, and adding pdf to the list of supported formats for that device (by default pdf is on that list, so you must have removed it at some time in the past).
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, not understanding where you are referring to in plugins to customize the sony driver to add PDF to the list. In plugins->conversion out plugins, I do have a PDF plugin showing?
I do have epub setup as my main preference output which I want to keep for the majority of books but want the option to transfer over without any conversion (PDF to PDF). I thought by using send to device->send specific format to-> selecting PDF would work without compromising the file, which doesn't work.

Last edited by Beege; 09-09-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beege View Post
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, not understanding where you are referring to in plugins to customize the sony driver to add PDF to the list. In plugins->conversion out plugins, I do have a PDF plugin showing?
I do have epub setup as my main preference output which I want to keep for the majority of books but want the option to transfer over without any conversion (PDF to PDF). I thought by using send to device->send specific format to-> selecting PDF would work without compromising the file, which doesn't work.
he said 'the SONY driver plugin' iirc that's in 'device interface plugins'.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Type sony in the search bar of the plugins screen. Then customize the plugin that you find.h
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Beege

Under my "Sony device interface" plugin, PDF is checked off when clicking on "customize plugin". Appreciate your replies.