Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #106
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
This looks fabulous and for that price, it would make a huge difference in Europe. I hope they will do a 5'' sized one too. I also like that it is lighter, it will be interesting to see how the wifi option actually wrks i.e. only for the sony store or for light surfing. I am just slightly disappointed that the new casing is longer than the old one. I am certainly thinking of getting one, hope it doesnt take too long. As I use it to read a lot of PDFs the additional multitouch could be a huge plus too.
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #107
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The new devices would need to have an at least partially plastic case because they now have WiFi. Radio signals don't go through metal cases.
They do however, go into an antenna embedded in the side molding. You simply incorperate the antenna into the aesthetic trim.

I worked on military electronics for over a decade and all of it had heavy metal casings.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #108
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I'm surprised by those disappointed with the features. Except for color ereaders have basically topped out on functions. The best anyone should have hoped for was wifi and maybe a new ui.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #109
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I'm surprised by those disappointed with the features. Except for color ereaders have basically topped out on functions. The best anyone should have hoped for was wifi and maybe a new ui.
I am hoping for a five inch model with micro SD.
There are several others from the Sony forums waiting for that.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #110
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't follow you, Bob. The previous poster was simply asking what the likelihood is that the new Sony will use the current version of Adobe's reading software. That current version now includes the capability of using the B&N-style credit-card encryption key. Anyone who licences the firmware from Adobe (as Sony do) can have this capability if they wish to - it's a standard part of Adobe's offering now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Yep, that's what I meant.
Ah.. got it. So, yes I would expect that sony would use the most recent version of the Adobe Mobile Reading SDK... However,

Haven't B&N switched to ePub or are they still selling the eReader format stuff.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #111
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
And I still need a bigger screen.
Hope it will be good quality, NOT plastic.
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Haven't B&N switched to ePub or are they still selling the eReader format stuff.

BOb
My understanding (and please correct me, someone, if I'm wrong) is that they are using ePub, but with e-Reader DRM - ie, using a credit card number as an encryption key. It's that DRM mechanism which has now been incorporated into Adobe's "toolkit".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #113
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Well, hmph. There's not much there to excite me. I disagree that it's ugly, I think it's quite attractive.

I don't want a plastic e-reader, although it looks like when it's time to upgrade that will be all my choices.

My 505 is really rugged - it's what I like most about it. My perfect ereader would have my Sony's ruggedness, the Pocketbook 360's ergonomics and the iRiver Story HD's Google bookstore integration.

Unless I get at least 2 out of the 3, I'll stick with what I have. Style counts, but it's not a deal maker or breaker.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #114
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I think this is about what we expected - well, me anyway - and I don't think it's bad at all.

But, early days yet ..?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #115
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Just realised that if it is this cheap, I can buy one for son for birthday, he'll be impressed 'cos it's got wifi, and I'll finally get my 350 back !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #116
NextStep
NextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
"And with that collection of books is also the mustache". This is the feature I have been for waiting most ... with the exception, of course, of an integrated dictionary of December 12.
Yes, funny those English translations of Dutch idiom . I tried to improve the Google Translate translation a bit. No doubt not faultless (English is not my native language), but still:

Description

The Sony PRS-T1 is mimicking the looks of its mobile brother, the Xperia, with its curves and high quality chrome finish. Thin and light, so easy to carry. The Sony PRS-T1 weighs only 168 grams. The screen is of the highest quality and provides optimal reading conditions. And still the battery will last long. On the Sony PRS-T1 you can read for one month at a charge. You may expect modern functions on a Sony and fortunately the PRS-T1 will not disappoint you: WiFi, microSD support, dictionaries and display of the cover of a book in standby mode. With its stylish looks and striking improvement, the Sony PRS-T1 is yet another benchmark of this company, one the competition can measure themselves against.
More compact, more beautiful ... better.

The Sony PRS-T1 is a significant improvement on three fronts. First the display. The E Ink display Pearl reads like real paper, has no reflection and has a high contrast. Resulting in a better reading experience. In addition, the appearance improved slightly, with a modern look. The aluminum is replaced by plastic, so the e-reader weighs 168 grams and is ideal to hold. The last major improvement is the addition of a dual-touchscreen instead of a normal touch screen. This can now perform pinch-to-zoom and other operations where you can use two fingers.

Stamina

Greatest advantage of an e-reader is that you can carry with you a large collection of books in a compact format. But then the battery must last long enough to actually be able to read a part of that collection. Fortunately, you experience one month reading pleasure with the Sony PRS-T1. And that collection of books is OK too: you can store some 1,200 books on the internal memory of 2 GB. Or more on microSD cards. Do you want a new book "on the go", then you logon to the e-book store Bol.com via WiFi and you can buy the best of books.

Look it up

With the Sony PRS-T1 you have all the knowledge at hand via Google Search and Wikipedia, so when you're desperately looking for an answer, then this e-reader will offer you one. In the vicinity of a WiFi connection, of course. You are abroad and want to translate a word? Look it up in one of the twelve integrated dictionaries.

Create your own Sony PRS-T1

Compared with the previous types, the Sony PRS-T1 is adaptable even more. You can make the Sony PRS-T1 more personal by showing the book cover, while the reader is in standbye mode. You can also change the font and fontsize so you can set the optimal reading experience. Take notes on the books with a stylus, whithout the scribbling being permanently visible in the margins (meaning is not very clear, Translater). Underline, highlight, add footnotes. The text is yours!

Features of the Sony PRS-T1:

6-inch E Ink display, dual touch
Resolution of 800 by 600 pixels
16 shades of gray
Wifi
2 GB of internal memory, expandable via microSD cards
Supported file formats: EPUB, PDF, MP3, AAC, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
12 dictionaries
Wikipedia and Google search
NextStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #117
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I really don't understand the massive aversion to plastic shown in this thread.

Plastic does not mean "cheap" and it does not mean "flimsy"... it doesn't mean low brow. A high percentage of products you use every day have plastics in them. Heck, you might even have flown in a plane built of plastic... all be it hi quality carbon fiber reinforced plastic.

The kindles are plastic as are most cell phones and laptops.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #118
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
(No 350/950 followups? Are they collapsing the line to one model?)
A follow-up of the 950 wouldn't be availabe at bol.com. As the entire 900 line was never sold outside the US. So, you can't tell from this one page...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very true. Modern high-impact plastics (such as the Kindle uses) are very tough. Go to the Kindle forum and you certainly won't see a flood of reports of broken screens. Of course there have been flimsy plastic readers (the Bookeen CyBook Gen3, for example) but the readers from the big-name manufacturers all seem to be well-made.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #120
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
My main objections to it are the glossy finish (reflections!!) and the curved bottom. Both are rather disappointing.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs