Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
GrumpyOldMan
Edge User

USB Keyboards & combos

Just wanted to let everybody know that I tried my combo keyboard/touchpad combo that I use occasionally as temporary input for server boxes and it works well: it is immediately recognized, both the keyboard as well as the touchpad which works like a large 1-button version of the small one on the LCD panel side.
More info: http://www.adesso.com/en/component/c...-ack-540b.html
It is still a bit big to be used alongside the Pocket Edge, but I think it could be good match to use with the full-size Edge!

I just wish typing on the reader side would be better supported, I couldn't find anything in the journal app, or elsewhere for that matter... it's mystifying to me since with the dualscreen and the LCD panel landscape virtual keyboard it would so obvious to use that combo to write larger volumes of text, even without a physical keyboard?!?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

Thanks for the report. I know I had looked at Adesso keyboards back when I was finding a keyboard for my full-sized edge. They seem to be very good keyboards.

Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Filark
Edge User

Thanks for that, Grumpy!

Alex-eDGe posted a nice picture once of her(?) PE setup in this thread: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...5050#post15050

I never got around to asking what keyboard that is, but it fits perfectly! Alex??

Old 04-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
attemptress
Edge User

The keyboard Filark mentioned looks a lot like mine. You can see a picture of mine peeking out of the pocket of my case in the "any word on cases . . ." thread (if you follow the link to my flickr set).

It's a SolidTek ASK-3100 "Super-Mii". Dimensions listed as 222x103x16 mm. Works great. I can type quite fast on it. The only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the single shift key (no right-hand shift key).

Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
lorenzoens
Edge User

I use standard sized keyboards with my EE + "Docs to go" with no troubles, instantly recognized and ready to go. Note that mine have italian layout, like this:
http://www.notebookusati.com/Foto/Ac...ER%20FRAME.JPG

QUESTION:

I noticed that some keyboard buttons activate advanced functions on EE. For example, "end" makes the LCD screen rotate.

Could any of you list these commands? I'm a bit scared of try them all, since I'm far from USA and a newbie user, wouldnt like to end up causing some troubles I couldnt solve...

Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

See http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...oard-shortcuts.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
lorenzoens
Edge User

Thank you very much Boris!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
netrobot
Edge User

Does anyone know how to DISABLE the on-screen keyboard when a USB keyboard is plugged in? Even having to do it manually is fine, but having that "virtual" keyboard pop up and have to be closed each time the cursor lands in an entry field is a pain.

I've used both my Gear Head (compact) keyboard combo and a regular Logitech keyboard -- everything seems to work. The touchpad only does up and down fields with the touch pad's left and right touch though.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Filark
Edge User

I wonder if turning the keyboard off under Settings/Applications/Running Services would work? I haven't tried it.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:22 AM   #10
netrobot
Edge User

Yes it DOES! I wish that function were in a widget. (yeah, I'm never satisfied)
NOTE: If you try this, you have to FIRST uncheck all the keyboards that are there, then the Android keyboard gets unhidden, as well as the Chinese "Pinyin" keyboard. You have to go BACK into settings and un check those too. But I can see how this would make a session using a USB keyboard a lot less frustrating.

Oddly, any change to keyboard settings sets the screen back to portrait mode. Changing the auto screen shutoff does this too.