Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
doowopper
doowopper began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Nook support in Calibre and conversion from Kindle to Nook Color?

I am new to this forum and plan to download Calibre very shortly. it looks like a wonderful program. Amazingly it's free - what a kind inventor.

I have a Nook Color.
1) Does Calibre fully support the Nook Color? On the demo video for Calibre, Nook is not listed as a supported device on one of the screens.
2) Is it possible to download an ebook in one format (such as a download from Amazon for the Kindle) and convert it using Calibre to the Nook Color format so it can be read on the Nook Color?
Thanks.
Richard
doowopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doowopper View Post
1) Does Calibre fully support the Nook Color? On the demo video for Calibre, Nook is not listed as a supported device on one of the screens.
The demo videos are not remade each week when a newer version of Calibre comes out. The current list of supported devices can be found here, as you can see, the Nook is supported.

Quote:
2) Is it possible to download an ebook in one format (such as a download from Amazon for the Kindle) and convert it using Calibre to the Nook Color format so it can be read on the Nook Color?
Depends. Most ebooks you can buy have DRM. Calibre can only convert ebooks that are DRM-free. There are plugins available for Calibre that remove the DRM protection, however, discussion of such software is prohibited as per forum rules. Your best bet would probably be to use either DRM-free books or books that already are in the Nook's supported format (ePub, if I'm not mistaken).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
doowopper
doowopper began at the beginning.

Nook supported

Thanks for your helpful response. I just installed the latest version of Calibre. The first time I ran it, a screen appeared asking me to identify my device from a list of devices. Nook was not on the list, so I selected "generic."
Was this the correct choice for my Nook device?
Thanks again.
Richard
doowopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't know. That selection mainly determines screen size, so you should pick a device with a screen size and resolution similar to yours.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
purple_feather22
purple_feather22 began at the beginning.

I know this was posted a few months ago but I thought I'd say something about Calibre and what it does for anyone who is asking the same questions as this original poster. Calibre is a useful tool to not only store all of your downloaded books in one place but to also convert books from one format to another, in my case from .pdf or .mobi to .epub so that I can easily read them on my nook color.

The program is large and sometimes slows down my somewhat older computer so if you experience any problems with it just know that its because it takes up a lot of space and may take longer to do what you would like it to do but it will get it done.

Because the nook color doesn't have its own program to sort, store and delete books I found that this is the best program that can do all that for you without having to go through the hassle of finding the right file to put your books in to read when they are not downloaded directly from b&n.com. The biggest issue I had with the nook was figuring out how to delete a book and this program can do that for you without much effort.
purple_feather22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert