Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Protagitron
Protagitron began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
ePub display issue in iBooks

So, I have some ePubs made in Sigil with photos interspersed throughout the chapters. The photos come with captions, all in a <div> tag to keep the photo and caption together.

Most of the chapters display correctly, but I have about three that override any reader settings I might have. For example, I generally my generic font-family settings of "serif" and "sans-serif" will all become Verdana when I select that option. But in these chapters, the body paragraphs will remain serif.

It's definitely something relating to the photos because if I remove some or just one of the pics, that chapter will display correctly. But I'm racking my brains trying to figure out why, with the photos added back in, it goes back to being different and overriding reader settings.

And, of course, the files validate and look fine in any other application. Anyone encounter anything similar? Any ideas?
Protagitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Protagitron
Protagitron began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
And I'm not sure if this will be much help, but it seems to be an issue with how apple is rendering things instead of my code. I added a paragraph of nonsense and all of a sudden the chapter displayed correctly.

Does anyone know whether iBooks has some overriding widows/orphans property set for paragraphs?
Protagitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
iBooks has some quirks regarding ePubs. Widows and orphans is one of them. You have to put it in your stylesheet how many lines you want the widow or orphan to be.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
NicolasR
Addict
NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Hi !
I’ve played around with iBooks and font-family too.

iBooks doesn’t like to respect your font-family or text-align rules in all p, span and div. Exception : if there are other things in these elements, like span (even empty span…) or images, then the fonts work…

Just read these posts :
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...s-strikes.html
http://web.me.com/david.mundie/Linde...Revisited.html
http://web.me.com/david.mundie/Linde...in_iBooks.html

And here is what Liz Castro is writing in her book, Epub straight to the point :
Quote:
Apple inexplicably crippled font support in iBooks 1.1. While iBooks is perfectly capable of displaying the more than 30 font faces that are pre-installed on the iPad, Apple has for some reason kept iBooks from recognizing those fonts when applied to certain elements, namely: p, div, body, html, and span. On the other hand, iBooks has no problem understanding fonts applied to non-body text elements like headers (h1, h2, and so on), list items (li), definition lists (dl, dd, and dt), highlighted text (em, strong, b, i, code, and so on).

One way around this is to enclose body text in an additional non body-text element. For example, you could use a rarely used element like samp:
<p><samp>Even a criminal is entitled to fair play; and certainly when a man who has done no harm has been unjustly treated, he is privileged to do his best to right himself.</samp></p>
Then apply the desired font to the samp selector in the CSS:
samp {font-family: "American Typewriter";}
You’ll find updates on this issue on my website.

Last edited by NicolasR; 02-08-2011 at 02:11 PM.
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote