Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Ady
Ady began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
PDFs reflowed with Sony software, but not with Calibre

I'm new to the whole text conversion conversation, although I promised I look around and read several threads before I decided to post this. I very much like Calibre and find it far superior to Sony's generic Reader Library.

All of the PDFs that I was able to send to my device while using the Sony software have reflowed just fine. Unfortunately, all the journal articles I've downloaded since switching to Calibre do not change display when I change font size. I realize that PDFs are WYSIWYG, but PDF articles form the same databases, same journals, same servers had previously been perfectly acceptable.

Is this a simple mistake on my part or am I doomed to either convert every PDF or switch back to that terribly unfriendly Sony software? Is this perhaps a problem with the software that first opens the files? What's changed?
Ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you saying that the SONY's PDF reflow works with pdfs sent using the sony software but not with pdfs sent with calibre?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Ady

It appears so. I have multiple copies of the same article in some cases and the pre-Calibre ones work fine, typical snags in lines breaks and the such, but readable. In addition, I can highlight the old pdfs but not the new ones.

I'm afraid I was not systematic in consolidating my library, so I can't say for sure the history of each file, but when it comes to journal articles I always access them the same way. Even if the same article had been downloaded multiple times instead of duplicated, there shouldn't be format differences. Unless there's something happening in the way the file is downloaded (can we blame this all on Google Chrome, which I switched to around the same time?).
Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Ady

Flag me for being off topic, but since I have you here:

Thanks you so much for developing this program. I can't imagine how much time and energy you have sacrificed over this. It boggles my mind. I hope those donations roll in for years to come.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Can you do a simple test? Take a file that doesn't reflow, put it into the Sony software and send it to your device. See if it reflows. Also do the opposite with a file from the Sony software after you verify it's reflowing.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suggest doing the following test. Download a pdf article.

Copy it to your sony reader manually using windows explorer (put it into the database\media\books folder of your sony main memory)

See if it reflows on the SONY.

Then delete it from your SONY.

Then add the downloaded file to calibre and send it to your sony again. See if it reflows.

And you're welcome
Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Ady

Dr. Goyal, I did the test and the file worked adequately both times. (Baffling, frustrating, my car does this to me all the time and now my mechanic thinks I'm crazy). So now I guess I have to go back and figure out what I did to those other files. Sorry to take your time.

Thanks user_none, I'll keep that test in mind as I monkey around.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Don't worry about it, I have the same problem with my car mechanic