Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
bearmeat
bearmeat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The first charge

I just got my Kindle 3 and need to know hoe to charge it for the first time, how long to charge it and the charging Icon turns green or does the power slide button turn green. I sent my new literate back because of charging problems and wan to get this one correct. Any help will be appreciated. Does it come charged from a best buy where I got it. I have been charging for about 3 hours now and don't want to over charge. Help
bearmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can't over-charge it; the charging circuit cuts out when it's fully charged. I'd give it perhaps 6h or so on charge; that should be sufficient.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Snakey
What would Snake do?
Snakey began at the beginning.

The yellow light will turn green when it's done.
Snakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
If by the "charging icon," you mean the battery icon on the screen, there is no way that can turn green; it's E-Ink, which is black and white.

You know the Kindle is done charging when the power slider changes from orange to green. You don't have to worry about overcharging it too much since the Kindle has overcharge protection built-in. I usually have to charge my Kindle for about 6 hours (like HarryT).
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
bearmeat
bearmeat began at the beginning.

Thanx, It must have come pre-charged as the power button went from yellow to green in less than 30 minutes. It's new out of the box from best buy. I send back my literate by sharper image, what a piece of junk and only holds a charge for a few hours.
bearmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
have fun and welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
nomiqayum
nomiqayum is on a distinguished road

Device: KINDLE
Welcome to the forum dude,
nomiqayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
I always charge mine thru the USB port.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
There shouldn't be any difference, timewise, between a USB charge and an outlet charge -- unless you have a weak computer power supply to the USB port on your computer or you have "daisy-chained" too many peripherals on that one port.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I always charge mine thru the USB port.
Is there any other method? The Kindle will only charge through its USB port.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any other method? The Kindle will only charge through its USB port.
Well .... yes, only through the USB port on the bottom of the Kindle. I was thinking, obviously, of the other end of the cable -- it can draw power from the computer's USB port or you can use the 110V adapter in a wall outlet.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
Well .... yes, only through the USB port on the bottom of the Kindle. I was thinking, obviously, of the other end of the cable -- it can draw power from the computer's USB port or you can use the 110V adapter in a wall outlet.
OK, yes, granted, but the wall charger is simply supplying the USB standard 1A at 5V, exactly the same as a PC's serial port should do. It really should make no difference whether you charge with a wall charger or a PC's serial port.

Tags
i'm new so hi everybody