Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Calibre Look Change?

The last few updates for Calibre seem to have changed the way it looks; the first altering the font used in the metadata viewer, and the latest altering the font used everywhere, so that it's no longer my system default (in Ubuntu). Is this an intentional change, or a bug? I can't say I like the look of it.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not now, nor has it ever specified what font to use in the interface.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm. Any idea, then, why the font used in the list of books changed (or possibly shrank) when I updated Calibre today? It's definitely not my system default, and I'd as soon be using that.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

most likely a theme incompatibility. calibre just switched to using qt 4.7 in the binary builds, probably your system default qt theme is incompatible, and so it using a different theme.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Same thing happened here, Kovid. I didn't mind the change, though, so I didn't think too much of it until I saw the original post, above.
The font within calibre on my Windows 7 machine has definitely changed.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Same thing happened here, Kovid. I didn't mind the change, though, so I didn't think too much of it until I saw the original post, above.
The font within calibre on my Windows 7 machine has definitely changed.
That would be because of the upgrade to Qt. The windows 7 support in Qt 4.7 had a lot of work, perhaps that included a different algorithm for settling ona default font.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Cool. I didn't figure it as a flaw... I actually LIKE the different font.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Hm, I'd try to confirm this by installing Qtconfig and fiddling with it, but it seems to have some dependency issues at the moment.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Huh, I had to install KDE to fiddle with it, but I was eventually able to make the fonts a bit bigger and convince them to render properly. There seem to be a few bugs in between Qt applications and displaying properly in GNOME. I ultimately went into KControl (qtconfig having no effect whatsoever) and set the hinting to Slight and the DPI to a fixed setting, and was able to get the font looking properly thick again.

The Book Details pane is also a blank white box with text in it rather than matching the colors of the system theme.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

I see! Apparently some other file was interfering with qtconfig for some reason. I performed:

rm ~/.config/Trolltech.conf

and reconfigured Qtconfig, setting it to GTK+, and now the fonts are nice and readable. The Book Details pane is still not matching the theme colors, though.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The book details panel is set to use the same background color as text edit widgets.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

I don't quite know how to change that in GNOME, but I'd as soon turn the panel off, since I don't keep enough tags to make it worthwhile.