Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
USB while Locked

Today, I enabled the software lock. However, I have to disable it.

The story: I attached my device to the PC with the USB cable. It was in sleep mode and then complained that the device was locked. So, I removed the cable, woke up the device, unlocked it, and then I plugged it in. For some reason, it went back to the device is locked screen! This happened a couple times. So I unplugged it, typed in the password, disabled the lock altogether, and tried it again. Now it's working, but the lock is disabled.

Is this some weird fluke or what? How can using the lock possibly prevent me from using USB?
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Try a soft reset and see if that does the trick. Make sure when you disconnect it from the computer you are clicking on the little icon on the bottom right of your screen that says safely remove usb. Or something like that; on my computer it's a little green fella!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
alfredopp
alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
sorry but, no, there is nothing wrong with your reader. This is normal, the only thing you need is to turn off device lock before connecting and after you are done transferring your files, turn it back on
alfredopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredopp View Post
sorry but, no, there is nothing wrong with your reader. This is normal, the only thing you need is to turn off device lock before connecting and after you are done transferring your files, turn it back on
Yeah, this seems to be true. Unfortunately, that is a TERRIBLE design. If I type the password and then connect, it should work at that point. I shouldn't have to go through all the settings, disable it, then connect, do my business, disconnect, and then reenable the lock.

Ugh.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
georget99
georget99 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
One concept behind the lock is to protect your privacy. If someone steals it and convinces Sony to unlock it, their unlock procedure deletes all books. If someone could just connect it to a computer, they could snoop at your bookshelf.

Is there a limit on password tries? Could a patient thief just try 0-0-0-0, 0-0-0-1, ...
georget99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by georget99 View Post
One concept behind the lock is to protect your privacy. If someone steals it and convinces Sony to unlock it, their unlock procedure deletes all books. If someone could just connect it to a computer, they could snoop at your bookshelf.

Is there a limit on password tries? Could a patient thief just try 0-0-0-0, 0-0-0-1, ...
This is exactly how it should work. Privacy is important. However, when you turn ON the device, type the password, and you are at your home page... the software should pick up that the device is NOT currently locked and you SHOULD be able to tether it to the computer at this point. The current methods required you navigating to the setting twice with each tether and the navigation requires about 3 clicks each. Just a huge waste of time and poor design IMHO.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
georget99
georget99 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Ah, I stand corrected. I obviously didn't read your first post completely.
georget99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Wow, I guess I didn't read the whole thing either! I don't know why I suggested the soft reset-I guess my brain wasn't having a good day that day. I never have the lock feature on, I think I tried it like that for a couple days and it was ridiculously annoying. I just keep it off; if I'm stupid enough to leave my reader sitting somewhere where someone can easily get to it then I don't deserve to have something that nice, lol!!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote