Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
la_tantan
la_tantan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sigil won't copy source formatting from LibreOffice

Hi everyone,

I am creating an ebook with Sigil but it suddenly stopped copying the source format of the text.

I don't know if I clicked somewhere I shouldn't have or if it is just a bug

I already re-started Sigil and even my laptop but it won't work. And I really need to copy-paste respecting the source format. Entering the code manually it very hard!

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by la_tantan; 03-18-2017 at 04:00 PM.
la_tantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Export the entire document to html and import it with one of the odt of html plugins meant to exactly help convert from OO/LibreOffice html to something useful for an ebook.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Also note that Sigil is not "syncing" an epub's text with any external "source" document. Once you import content, there is absolutely no connection between the Sigil epub and your "original source."

I know many new users have fallen into the trap of believing they're editing/saving their original source documents after adding them to an epub.

But mainly, yes, as Kevin said ... don't use copy/paste to get your content into Sigil. Import html (or an epub) that has been exported from a word-processing program, or use a Sigil plugin to import it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-18-2017 at 12:39 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #4
la_tantan

What Sigil plugin would you recommend me?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
la_tantan

Thank you!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The index of all available plugins can be found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247431

There is an ODTImport plugin, an OpenDocHTML plugin, and a DOCX plugin. You should check out theses as a start.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The index of all available plugins can be found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247431

There is an ODTImport plugin, an OpenDocHTML plugin, and a DOCX plugin. You should check out theses as a start.
Ummm...not to mention my personal favorite for getting a Word/Open Office/LibreOffice document into an epub...Writer2Epub.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:19 AM   #8
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
There is a plugin in the Sigil plugins index that that I've written that will convert LibreOffice HTML directly to epub format. This plugin is very easy to use. It will also clean out your html and will also automatically import the epub into Sigil for you.

The plugin, with all instructions and descriptions, is here:
OpenDocHTMLImport
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I usually finish my e-books in Word, so I've only done this with OpenOffice Writer (presumably the same or very like Libre) out of curiosity. I save it as a *.dox or *.docx file and run that through Word2CleanHtml dot com online. Once, with an OOW document, the html paragraphs wound up as p class="normal" which required a quick find & replace. And Word docs occasionally insert an empty hyperlink, which doesn't affect the usability of the file but causes a fail in Epubcheck. (Flight Crew does not seem to find the latter.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I always wonder about online services ... they could be copying anything and everything someone uploads. Therefore, I am curious why you choose to use a service like that instead of the quite nice quality alternatives that the plugins provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I usually finish my e-books in Word, so I've only done this with OpenOffice Writer (presumably the same or very like Libre) out of curiosity. I save it as a *.dox or *.docx file and run that through Word2CleanHtml dot com online. Once, with an OOW document, the html paragraphs wound up as p class="normal" which required a quick find & replace. And Word docs occasionally insert an empty hyperlink, which doesn't affect the usability of the file but causes a fail in Epubcheck. (Flight Crew does not seem to find the latter.)
Old 04-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #11
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
@Notjohn...I currently use my own personal Sigil plugin(not released yet) to automatically clean up both imported html files as well as epubs. I use this cleaner mainly to cleanup my own imported html files(from various doc sources) in Sigil. It will thoroughly clean out ODT html, Word filtered html and Google Zip html. And I think this plugin does a much better job of cleaning out html files than Word2CleanHTML because my plugin cleaner is epub-centric (html 4.01) whereas Word2cleanHTML is just for web pages(html 5) -- and that means that my cleaner will also do its very best to remove or change html code that is not epub 2 compliant. This plugin cleaner also preserves all your layout and styling and also gives the user a bunch of other helpful styling options via a dialog as well.

This plugin cleaner certainly isn't perfect(still testing it) but I think this plugin should prove quite useful because it helps to give you an ideal start point to begin formatting your epub or imported html file in Sigil. To be released soon.

By the way -- my OpenDocHTMLImport plugin has the same cleanup capability as above already built-in so if you convert your ODT html to epub using this plugin then there will be no need for you to cleanup the html file or epub because it's already been done. And if this plugin converter both cleans AND converts your ODT html file directly to epub then you will never again have to use either MS Word or Word2CleanHTML to convert your doc to epub in your workflow.

Last edited by slowsmile; 04-12-2017 at 08:04 PM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copypaste, format, formatting, sigil