Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #46
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
"Umney's last case" and "The Dr's Case" are good too. One is a Philip Marlowe like story and the other has Watson finding the solution to a crime before Holmes.
I listened to the audio version of "Umney's Last Case", and it was particularly special because it was read by Robert B. Parker (may he rest in peace).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #47
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I listened to the audio version of "Umney's Last Case", and it was particularly special because it was read by Robert B. Parker (may he rest in peace).
Sounds interesting.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #48
TonyR
Connoisseur
TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, Jetbook Lite, iPod Touch
Hearts in Atlantis is worth checking out too -- not a horror story at all. The opening piece, "Low Men in Yellow Coats" didn't really do it for me, but the others were so strong that I count this as one of my favorites of his books.

The stories in Night Shift are mostly in the genre, but two of them are straight non-genre fiction and among his best. "The Woman in the Room," and "The Last Rung on the Ladder" are must-reads, as heart-breaking as some of Theodore Sturgeon's best.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #49
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Hearts in Atlantis is worth checking out too -- not a horror story at all. The opening piece, "Low Men in Yellow Coats" didn't really do it for me, but the others were so strong that I count this as one of my favorites of his books.

The stories in Night Shift are mostly in the genre, but two of them are straight non-genre fiction and among his best. "The Woman in the Room," and "The Last Rung on the Ladder" are must-reads, as heart-breaking as some of Theodore Sturgeon's best.
Don't forget "The Jaunt." It's mostly soft science fiction. The "Tommyknockers" is more of a Science Fiction book too now that I think about it. Though there are some elements of horror mixed in via the tie in to IT.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #50
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Most of King's books have some element of horror in them even if they are primarily another genre.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #51
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
So, I started reading Under the Dome. Mleh, unfortunately
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #52
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
So, I started reading Under the Dome. Mleh, unfortunately
Why it's unfortunately? I heard it's pretty good.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #53
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Well, one dimensional characters, a lot of brutality (with very vivid and disturbing details) and vulgarity (maybe I'm a sissy, ok) unnecessary digressions for description of less than minor characters... The concept is intriguing but reading it is like watching a film without being connected. Or a multipage tabloid. Plowing on...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #54
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
Why it's unfortunately? I heard it's pretty good.
The ending LOL.

I enjoyed the book ALOT....then the ending happened....journey not destination I guess.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #55
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
A lot of King's work does not have "supernatural" horror in it. I know more than a few people who don't like the horror genre who enjoyed books like Dolores Claiborne and Misery, etc... Even Cujo, if I remember correctly. These books have very little if no supernatural elements, just a kind of "everyday horror" for lack of a better term.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #56
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
A lot of King's work does not have "supernatural" horror in it. I know more than a few people who don't like the horror genre who enjoyed books like Dolores Claiborne and Misery, etc... Even Cujo, if I remember correctly. These books have very little if no supernatural elements, just a kind of "everyday horror" for lack of a better term.
Yeah, Gerald's Game also focused more on everyday horror than any supernatural elements aside from the link to Dolores Claiborne via eclipses which had a sort of other worldly flavor. And I could see something like the events in Cujo happening even today.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #57
ichristian
ichristian began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'd like to add The Green mile to the hat! It's not strictly a horror but more of a journey, it does have some slightly scary parts but overall it's a fantastic story! You might have seen the movie version of it with Tom Hanks (Great movie also, but read the book first!)

I wrote a list of what i consider to be the best Stephen King books, and if you read through I do mention a couple of books that aren't specifically "horror". However, you should consider some that fall into the "horror" category too, sure there might be some unsettling moments but the stories are so wonderful it is worth it! Case in point is Different Seasons, which is four stories in one book. One of them is Shawshank Redemption and it's actually better than the movie too. And please comment on my list if it is helpful to you.

King forever
ichristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #58
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
The stand is my all time fav. I agree the ending was like what. But it was an amazing read. I have never read the green mile. I saw the movie and it was beyond sad. I just did not want to relive that. I am looking for one of his books to read within the next 2 weeks. I think Dome may be the choice. Well unless somebody else has something stand like he has written in the last 10 years to recommend.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #59
raychensmith
raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
11/22/63. His best non-horror novel. Long but brilliant.
raychensmith is offline   Reply With Quote