Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Wouldn't It Be Great If You Got Home from Work Tomorrow and...

your Kindle Fire is on your doorstep!!!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I would be absolutely thrilled if a device I never ordered showed up on my doorstep tomorrow with my name on the label.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I would be absolutely thrilled if a device I never ordered showed up on my doorstep tomorrow with my name on the label.
Especially since it's not shipping until next month.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Last Kindle release I think we got them 1 or 2 days before the official release day. I remember getting that shipping notice and then parking my butt by the window waiting for the UPS truck.

I'm pretty sure we won't get them a month early though.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Does seem a long time until release date, doesn't it?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
No, I would have to return it, or I'd be stealing.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For a second I thought it said your Kindle was on fire.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd be checking my credit card balance.
I'm not really that interested in the Fire as more details come out but the Kindle Touch I would be

I want a tablet that makes a good eReader and unless Amazon releases a new app for reading or I can use another eReader app besides their lame Android app, I don't think it's gonna be all that great.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
No, I would have to return it, or I'd be stealing.
Not in the US. If a package is addressed to you and delivered that you did not order, you can consider it a gift.

Sometime last century, there was a problem with companies sending unordered merchandise to people, then trying to collect ( possibly outrageously large amounts of ) money for it. The responsibilities of the recipient were clarified by law. The recipient has no obligation whatsoever to the sender. So companies need to ensure that something has actually been ordered before sending it out, unless thay want to make it a gift.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Not in the US. If a package is addressed to you and delivered that you did not order, you can consider it a gift.

Sometime last century, there was a problem with companies sending unordered merchandise to people, then trying to collect ( possibly outrageously large amounts of ) money for it. The responsibilities of the recipient were clarified by law. The recipient has no obligation whatsoever to the sender. So companies need to ensure that something has actually been ordered before sending it out, unless thay want to make it a gift.
This happened to me once... a company sent me a bunch of stupid bath salts and tried to charge me $400+ for it and a "birthday reminder service"... somehow they'd gotten my credit card number and billed it... I tried to get them to reverse the charge, but finally had to have my CC company do it!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I got a book mailed to me out of the blue. They wanted me to keep it, and agree to recieve additional books, or return it. There was no return envelope, and the book was hardcover, and would have required some amount of effort to ship it back. So, it is still waiting in the closet in the office. If they send me a shipping box, I will mail it back. Otherwise, at the end of the season, it is going on the coffee table (MLB book).
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I got a book mailed to me out of the blue. They wanted me to keep it, and agree to recieve additional books, or return it. There was no return envelope, and the book was hardcover, and would have required some amount of effort to ship it back. So, it is still waiting in the closet in the office. If they send me a shipping box, I will mail it back. Otherwise, at the end of the season, it is going on the coffee table (MLB book).
I can't count the number of times something like that has happen to me before I moved. Books, Magazines and other items like that I didn't order. I figured someone out there was doing it on purpose.
I started refusing them so the Post office had to take them back.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm not really that interested in the Fire as more details come out but the Kindle Touch I would be

I want a tablet that makes a good eReader and unless Amazon releases a new app for reading or I can use another eReader app besides their lame Android app, I don't think it's gonna be all that great.
There are a number of good ereading apps on the amazon market. Aldiko, for one. Not sure why you think there's not?
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

They just delivered an update to the Android app and I trust they have not stopped there; it's 'okay' now, but expectations are a little higher. But it won't hurt to wait and see.

I would not call the Android app 'lame' but it is missing some features. I don't care about Collections that much, but I'd like columns in landscape and a gesture to adjust screen brightness as some of the other Android reading apps I use have. Fire doesn't have an ambient light sensor (I would assume) so it will be important to adjust brightness manually, and it should be as convenient as possible. Oh, and I want TTS too, it is something of a checklist item for Android reading apps.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
There are a number of good ereading apps on the amazon market. Aldiko, for one. Not sure why you think there's not?
I don't care for Aldiko. I prefer Mantano or Cool Reader which reads external style sheets correctly but let's me customize the font, background, margins....etc. The verdict is still out if these will be allowed or not. It seems the Fire will have its own category in the App store. I know they said we can side load apps so I'm hoping this is the case because I'll do that with Cool Reader if nothing else.

The Kindle app doesn't do well when you bring up the font. The paragraphs looks odd on my phone. I find the font rendering on the app not as good as the two mentioned above. The book doesn't look like it does on say your Kindle or K4PC. The font used is not that great for reading either when zoomed in.