Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #76
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Should be a note about it and maybe where you select to have it on or off... it's just a key combo that you can press at any time to record the screen and then you can transfer to your computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
As for the screenshots, I know how to take those with a camera and embed images in forum posts already. I was talking about the ability to take screenshots internally, in the reader. It's an added feature with the new Boroda firmware. But how to use it???
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #77
chris_tribble
Enthusiast
chris_tribble began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Should be a note about it and maybe where you select to have it on or off... it's just a key combo that you can press at any time to record the screen and then you can transfer to your computer...
Got it - how very clever. You can map this to a particular button by choosing which button you want to use (About Menu) and toggling through the options. Currently this is mapped to the Options key in the example below.

Thanks for the question - without it I wouldn't have thought of looking for the answer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen101.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	60689  
chris_tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #78
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Do you guys know how to uninstall the russification flash (boroda ver. for 650) ?
I might want to uninstall the flash later....
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:20 AM   #79
chris_tribble
Enthusiast

No idea! Would a hard reset do it?
Old 11-06-2010, 05:45 AM   #80
koadic
koadic doesn't litterkoadic doesn't litter

Device: prs-650
I'm pretty sure there is a link for the default firmware just above the modified firmware, and while I haven't gotten around to flashing mine yet, I would imagine that you flash that back the same way you initially flashed the modified firmware.
koadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #81
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I did some snooping and I found out that the font I like that is embedded in some library epubs is called Charis SIL. It is not an Adobe font, it is free and was developed by a literacy organization "for laser printers and other less-than-optimal reading conditions."

You can download it here:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...#FontsDownload

The font is very heavy so you might hate it, but I find it easier on the eyes. Give it a try!
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #82
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I decided to gamble and flashed my very new PRS-650. The procedure went very smoothly.

The main reasons I decided to try the firmware was for the font customization and the ability to assign the "back" function to a key. After using the built-in Droid font, I may not fool with my own fonts afterall.

Assigning the rotate function to a key is nice, but I think they went overboard. Rotate now makes you cycle through all four orientations, which seems to be more trouble than the old Options menu method. I wish this was user changeable to only have the original two rotations.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #83
650user
650user began at the beginning.

sigh...

My prs-650 reboots infinitely after this firmware updating. The firmware itself does not seem to have any problem since many users do not have same problem as mine. I did everything, soft reset, hard reset.. rebooting 10 times which works on 505, but no hope.
I had had prs-600, I could use USB even if I had some problem when I updated firmware on prs-600, so I could recover it. However, on prs-650, USB does not work once it stuck on infinite reboot.
I think there would be a way to bring it to 'update mode' or 'usb mode'.
I found another guy in this forum who experienced same problem as mine, but no answer yet.

Last edited by 650user; 11-06-2010 at 11:46 PM.
650user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #84
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Well, even after looking at the replies from elcreative and Chris, I still couldn't figure out how to do the screenshot. It's not very intuitive how to use the firmware's new options. But finally I figured it out. Whew!

At any rate, it's a pretty neat feature. I may be using it at times instead of the notes/annotation feature.

As for going back to the original firmware, I echo what koadic said. It appears the first download in the list for each device is the OEM version. I assume reflashing the device with that will restore it to its original state.

As for 650user, did you fix things?

A word of caution to anyone who flashes -- Be sure you do it on a fully charged device, make sure the reader is firmly connected to the PC, turn off any software that could stall the process (ie, Comodo firewall), and follow the instructions to the letter.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #85
chris_tribble
Enthusiast

Please you got there! Hope 650user gets it sorted out.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #86
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IF you bricked your reader by flashing the firmware, and it was still under warranty, I am assuming that would void the warranty? If you brought it back to the store, and just showed them it wasn't working, would they give you another one? Would they "know" that you did it? What if you had a 3rd party warranty, such as Square Trade, would they honor it?

eP
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #87
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Chris, have you been able to get your font-size adjustment to stick? I thought I got it working on my reader the other day, but now it's not working anymore and I have no clue why. The fonts of my choice are definitely working ... as is the line-height adjustment in the body style, but the font-size is being ignored.

Here is the bit of code directly copied from the userstyle.css. Anyone spot anything wrong?

h1 {
font-family: sans-serif1, sans-serif;
}
body {
font-family: garamond;
line-height: 1.1em;
font-size: 125%;
}

After flashing, there were two other css sheets in the epub folder -- userstyle.dflt.css and userstyle.droid.css. I kept them both as is. Should either of them be tweaked or deleted???

It's not a biggie about the font size as I can just switch to M size, but it's much nicer to be able to adjust it globally with the userstyle.css.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #88
koadic
koadic doesn't litterkoadic doesn't litter

I believe if the ebup has an embedded css file that specifies the font size in the same way (in the body tag), it will override the css on the device.

If it is indeed in the body tag of the css file, you can always move your font adjustment to a different tag higher up, such as the html tag...

html {
font-size: 125%;
}

then change your body tag to remove the font size as they will be additive (125% + 125% = 156%). This way, if for some reason you have an epub that specifies 100% font size for the body tag, you should still be good to go.
koadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #89
650user
650user began at the beginning.

Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
IF you bricked your reader by flashing the firmware, and it was still under warranty, I am assuming that would void the warranty? If you brought it back to the store, and just showed them it wasn't working, would they give you another one? Would they "know" that you did it? What if you had a 3rd party warranty, such as Square Trade, would they honor it?

eP
Well, I sent it to Sony Repair Center. Warranty paper says they repair or exchange it to the refurnished/new one if they cannot repair it unless user made it wet or screen broken. I believe they would simply start to repair rather than spending time on investigating what I did.

Unlike prs-600, prs-650 seems not to have any recovery solution yet after firmware failure.
650user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #90
elemenoP
Wizard

Good luck to you, 650user, and let us know what happens with the warranty claim!

eP