Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
ddoyle777
ddoyle777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Talking Another Delightful Advantage

One of my joys is to read when I'm forced to eat alone. If I'm traveling, or just without a lunch meeting I always read.

With a paper book I could never keep the pages open (can you say broken binding); with my Palm TX I could never get it to lean on something without falling or slipping.

But with the Reader I can prop it on anything (napkin holder, planner, etc.) and find the best angle. It just stays there. Besides that, with the size of the font, and the amount of text on the page, I don't have to be constantly pushing buttons.

I realize this is trivial, but I'm finding a constant source of delight as I use my new (3 days for me) Reader.
ddoyle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I agree with you, I have the iLiad, and the comfort in reading-while-eating is really great. I also lay on my sofa with my knees up and prop the iLiad on them, without having to keep the "book" open. And since the screen is visible from practically any angle... oh, bliss!
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I was thinking about leaning it on something earlier, actually. I was in CompUSA looking at that Sony UX UMPC-ish device and I came to realize how difficult it would be to use as an ebook reader because it's too heavy to lean on something -- too bulky, too.

It's good to know you _can_ lean the Sony Reader.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
diomark
diomark began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-500
Yep.. that's the main reason that I got the reader..

Here's another tip too that works well; in landscape mode, you can use the case itself to lean the reader on... (and have it a bit further if you're eating/reading/etc..)
-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle777
One of my joys is to read when I'm forced to eat alone. If I'm traveling, or just without a lunch meeting I always read.

With a paper book I could never keep the pages open (can you say broken binding); with my Palm TX I could never get it to lean on something without falling or slipping.

But with the Reader I can prop it on anything (napkin holder, planner, etc.) and find the best angle. It just stays there. Besides that, with the size of the font, and the amount of text on the page, I don't have to be constantly pushing buttons.

I realize this is trivial, but I'm finding a constant source of delight as I use my new (3 days for me) Reader.
diomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
The only downside of course, could be a rather messy page-turn button (depending on the special-du jour)

Possible futuristic add-on: wireless remote page-turner (operated by one's elbow and comfortably encased in durable washable plastic)
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Jees! How lazy can one get!

I know thre are remotes for MP3 players, that's ok because the device can occasionally be far away from your ears, like in a dock, but a reader has to be up close to your eyes... unless you use a retroprojector!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I'd like a remote too. When you've propped up the reader or even just got it laying flat it'd be nice to be able to change the page without reaching over to the reader.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I agree... a remote would be great. I don't like those remotes with portable music players and I haven't used any that I've had either. But for page turning, I think it would be nice if it could be done cheaply.

Also would work for putting music (words and chords, for example) on the reader in case the song requires two pages.

On the negative side, it would probably reduce the battery life and add to the Reader cost, and maybe even require a dongle on the Reader-side, if it was wireless. Or if it was wired, it would have to be plugged in every time it was used.

Well, I guess now that I think about it, I don't think it would be worth it for me. I like the clean, no-thinking-required, no accessories required sort of approach for reading books.

How's that for a 180 turn?! ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Huh? A song two pages long? Oh yeah, sheet music!

If/when E-ink readers becomes commonplace, there will be a demand for remote page turners, especially for musicians. When you're playing an instrument, you have to time things to pause, reach out, and turn the page. With a remote page turner (wired or wireless) you could use your foot to turn the page. I would expect both wired and wireless models would be made, since wired models are cheaper. (However, there may come a time when wireless technology is cheaper.)

As for the Reader, I agree with Bob on both the pros and the cons. I think you could make a wired page turner that would only need power when you push the button, but I am not an engineer. Perhaps scotty1024 knows enough to make a definitive answer.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Or when you are referring to your recipe while cooking and do not want to smudge the reader?
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote