Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
guido22
guido22 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Some Advice Please!

My venerable PRS-505 cratered not long ago after an awkward meeting with the floor. I purchased a new PRS-600 and my aging eyes are not to happy with the display, due to reflections, contrast, etc.. I am rapidly approaching my 30 day return period and I am considering trading it up to a PRS-900 which reportedly has a better display.

Is the 900 worth the additional expense for the job it does? I have no interest in the connectivity feature as I transfer everything from my computer. I am intrigued by the larger screen as more page will be available due to the font size I use.

Your advise will be appreciated.

Last edited by guido22; 05-23-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
guido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
I would say do it. I've heard the 600 has bad glaring issues.
I have a 900 and have been nothing but pleased with it. It's very light and easy to read off of.
One of the specific reasons I bought the 900 was the larger screen. I, too, have eyes that aren't the best. Since I enlarge the text, the larger screen reduces the amount of page turns.

Good luck!
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The 900 is getting good press, Guido. Don't suppose you can get your money back and buy another 505 in the flea market here on or eBay? I've read nothing to persuade me that my 505 ain't the best thing out there. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What makes the 900 so different from the 600 in terms of glare/reflection? I thought the 900 had the same touch screen offering poorer contrast compared to the 505 or 300, similar to the 600. Is the higher grey scales making that much of a difference between the 900 and 600?

Last edited by MerLock; 05-20-2010 at 04:16 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
In my experience, and I had them side-by-side for a short time when I owned both, the 900 has a clearer touch screen film than the 600. I did not find the 900's contrast any better than the 600, just looked a bit sharper/more focused.

There is still some glare or reflectivity on the 900, but not as noticeable as the 600. Of the current models, the 300 has the most readable screen, like the 505's, but you forfeit a lot of features. Everyone has to make their own decision on that stuff. The 300 is certainly more affordable.

Personally, I am very happy with my 900. At $399, the price was rather steep, but it does come with a lot of accessories. I think the price has dropped to $350 at the SonyStyle store for a few more days.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wonder why Sony didn't use the same touch screen on the 600 as on the 900. More expensive or was it something Sony learned after the 600 was released.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
guido22

Thanks for everyone's advice. Considering the fact that legibility is of prime importance I am awaiting an Irex Dr-800 from Best Buy ordered online.

Prior to ordering the Irex I borrowed an iPad and found it to be too heavy to read in bed and the screen caused me more eye strain issues than the PRS-600. I was disappointed to find the iPad to be nothing more than a larger and faster iPhone.

It turns out that I cannot return the PRS-600 for credit. So if anyone is interested I have an almost new silver PRS-600 in the factory box. I will also throw in the Sony lighted cover, the 2gb SD card that will come with the Irex and a Sony wall charger. I will also leave all 142 book on it provided you enjoy fiction. All this for $300.00, Priority Mail shipping included inside the continental U.S.. Paypal accepted.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido22 View Post
Thanks for everyone's advice. Considering the fact that legibility is of prime importance I am awaiting an Irex Dr-800 from Best Buy ordered online.

Prior to ordering the Irex I borrowed an iPad and found it to be too heavy to read in bed and the screen caused me more eye strain issues than the PRS-600. I was disappointed to find the iPad to be nothing more than a larger and faster iPhone.

It turns out that I cannot return the PRS-600 for credit. So if anyone is interested I have an almost new silver PRS-600 in the factory box. I will also throw in the Sony lighted cover, the 2gb SD card that will come with the Irex and a Sony wall charger. I will also leave all 142 book on it provided you enjoy fiction. All this for $300.00, Priority Mail shipping included inside the continental U.S.. Paypal accepted.

Thanks again for the help.

You might wish to visit our Flea Market Forum and post there.

However, our Members are very discerning and now very careful about Newer Members (you only have 4 posts) who wish to sell an item.

My suggestion - if you decide to sell it using the Flea Market Forum - is to also post PERSONAL PHOTOS OF YOUR SONY 600.

This is only a suggestion.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
guido22

Thanks Dr. Drib for the suggestions. The reader is also posted in the Flea Market Forum and the pictures are temporary until I can get the real things up. Hopefully using Paypal will add some confidence to the sale as it will be billed as merchandise rather than a service which protects both buyer and seller. Billing as a service is a scam that prevents any recourse for the buyer if the sale is not up to expectations. Unfortunately I fell for that once and learned an expensive lesson the hard way.