Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Comscore: Apple iPad Ownership Extends Beyond Just “Fanboys”

http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events...Percent_in_U.S

Quote:
The research also suggests that iPad ownership extends well beyond Apple’s most fervent consumers. Although a perception may exist that iPad owners tend to be those with a very strong affinity for Apple products, an analysis of the mobile devices of iPad owners indicates that may not be the case.

While Apple is indeed the most heavily represented OEM among iPad owners, its OEM share (27.3 percent) is only slightly higher than its share among all smartphone subscribers (25.2 percent). RIM accounts for the second highest percentage of iPad owners at 17.5 percent, but this number is well below its overall smartphone market share of 28.9 percent. Meanwhile, Samsung, LG and Nokia are all significantly overrepresented among iPad owners as compared to their respective shares of the smartphone market. In addition, 14.2 percent of iPad users had Android phones.
I think this is interesting in light of all the concerns about "lock-in" to one app store/vendor. I do use several apps that work on both my iPhone and iPad, but there isn't a whole lot of crossover. And of course music isn't locked in at all anymore.

While this is good news for Apple that the iPad has broad appeal beyond its "fanboy base" (despite what some here think ), it is also good news for other vendors; perhaps brand loyalty isn't that strong a delimiter in terms of tablet purchases in the future.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I own one and I'm about as anti-Apple as they come. And I hate Steve Jobs! The truth is, the iPad apps and hardware work, and work well. Although I don't care for the Apple app approval system, it does ensure that apps work well with the iPad. Basically, the iPad has no true competition as Android is horrible and with absolutely no controls by Google the Android apps tend to be amateurish in design and function. Once Microsoft decides to embrace the tablet concept, it will be a different story. MS has a habit of coming to the party late, getting a very slow start, but then methodically improving their product until it beats the competition in sales. A true OS with file system, open apps platform, and support for standardized ports will make the iPad seem like an expensive toy. It won't happen soon, but in a few years I suspect there will be more open platform, MS OS based tablets than iPads. There is no way Apple can compete against a good tablet OS that will run on dozens of manufacturers hardware, support industry standard ports and accessories, and run apps they are already familiar with. Google cannot do this with Android, but MS can and eventually will. don't forget how many years it took MS to realize the internet actually existed, but once they did Netscape went down the drain.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-23-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I now own an iPad... after going through several terrible Android tablets.

At this point in time the iPad has no true competition. This will change of course, but unlike jswinden, I don't foresee Microsoft bringing anything better. It will probably come from companies that truly understand why Apple succeeded where others failed.

I'm not an Apple fanatic, but I have enjoyed their products far more than my many Windows devices.

Here's the true key element in the equation... my aged mother can use an iPad, but she never has been able to use a 'true' computer (and she's tried several times). Microsoft, amongst others, have missed the mark because their focus has been on computer literate folks, thus leaving out a big chunk of potential customers. It appears Apple is reaching everyone (except perhaps the hard core) with an exquisitely simple and functional device.

Last edited by pphilipp; 04-24-2011 at 08:56 AM.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
zorah
Enthusiast
zorah is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad; iPhone; Asus T91MT; Kindle Touch
Interesting thread. I'm an iOS user. (I use a Mac desktop as primary at home for over 7 years now though other family members use Windows). I have an iPhone as well. I ended up with an iPad after the Asus tablet I thought would be everything and just didn't fit the bill. Resisted the iPad thinking it would just be a "big" iPhone, but got one as a gift several months ago from a loving spouse who could see I wanted one anyway. Glad I did as I really do use it very differently from my iPhone. I like that 99% of the apps are interchangeable, but I rarely use my iPhone as a reader, although occasionally I glance at something, so nice to have. I rarely play word games on my iPad, but I can if I want to. I never annotate PDFs on my iPhone and could care less that I can. But because I already had an iPhone, it seemed logical to get an iOS tablet versus an Android one with an already large investment in apps. I've purchased just a few iPad apps now and have many free iPad only apps too. But I agree, definite different uses. However, at various times, I do use some of the iPhone apps too, so it really did make sense. Still, I really do use the two devices differently. The availability of apps is just great and the ease of use is awesome. The thing just works. I have an iPad 1 with no upgrade plans until the battery dies.
zorah is offline   Reply With Quote