Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Device: iPod Touch ipad
pocket PC advise

Hi I am contemplating purchasing a reconditioned

Dell Axim X30 Pocket PC with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on e-bay anybody know if this would be suitable as an e-reader
Keith
kren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It can be used as an ebook reader. There are quite a few reader programs you can run on it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nice machine. Go for it! As Nate says, you have a wide choice of readers for it: MobiPocket, Microsoft Reader, and eReader to name but three.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Device: iPod Touch ipad
Thanks I was about to go but I've had the following email from the seller
(the X5 would be cheaper, if you only want to use it for eBooks. The X30 is more expensive, but it does have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.) the X5 is in fact £30 cheaper
could I impose on you further for your comments
Keith
kren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How useful do you think the Wifi will be? I would get it so I can use the extra features of Mobipocket Reader.
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How useful do you think the Wifi will be? I would get it so I can use the extra features of Mobipocket Reader.
Are you referring to the ability to download books using, for example, our MobileRead Kindle/Mobi download guide?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Yes .
Old 03-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's very useful, I agree. There are so many places now which offer free WiFi that it's becoming an increasingly "desirable" things to have.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If you want to read about pocket PC used as an eBook reader check my home page (in .sig line). I have a full page devoted to this task. Most of it is also in our wiki but arranged differently.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Either device should work fine as an ebook reader. In addition to the other eReading software already mentioned, you'll also be able to read PDF files.

If you get the device with wifi and bluetooth, you'll be able to do quite a bit more with the device:

Connect to internet to surf websites, review email, download books, read forum posts, etc.
Listen to music via a bluetooth headset
Connect to a bluetooth enabled cellphone and surf the internet through the phone's data connection (you'll want to subscribe to a data plan if you plan to do this).
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
I first started out on a Dell Axim several years ago and am on my 3rd one a X51V. I first started reading e-books on an Axim. It is quite adequate (any of them) as a reader and if thats all your going to do with it is read E-books then go with the best $$$$$ deals IMHO
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote