Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #31
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I use the Kobo Glo and I just stay away from updating the firmware, which means hardly never using wi-fi. I'm using firmware 2.4.0 and I also stay away from .kepubs, I use strictly .epubs. So I don't have those issues with the wide gap on the top and bottom and wide margins that you can get from .kepubs.
I would install Android on it, but I appreciate that is not an option for everyone.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should have made a a poll out of this.
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #33
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Can't say I've completely given up on Sony--still have and use a 350 and a 650, but now I've added a Kindle PaperWhite (2nd gen) to the mix. Calibre made it a breeze to convert my books to AZW for the PaperWhite. I'm doing most of my reading on that, but still use my 350 and 650 occasionally--the 350 more so, because of its size. Easy to carry with me.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #34
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I plan to keep using my PRS-T1 as long as it works. If/when it stops working, I will see what else is available.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #35
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
I have gone to kobo aura and it is great. Most firmware bugs how've been ironed out
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #36
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. I recently went from a Kobo Aura HD to a PRS-T1 when the screen cracked, and it didn't make much of a difference to my reading. (I rooted the Sony for a while to use CoolReader and try to use Aard Dictionary, but that was short lived.) So I'll keep the T1 until it dies or until there is a dramatic improvement in ereaders. Either way, it will probably be a long enough wait that the market will change so it's hard to make a decision.

For people wanting to make the jump now though, Kobo has some pretty good readers at different price points.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #37
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Can't say I've completely given up on Sony--still have and use a 350 and a 650, but now I've added a Kindle PaperWhite (2nd gen) to the mix. Calibre made it a breeze to convert my books to AZW for the PaperWhite. I'm doing most of my reading on that, but still use my 350 and 650 occasionally--the 350 more so, because of its size. Easy to carry with me.
How do you find the Kindle compared to a Sony? I hear Amazon is intrusive by comparison, trying to hard-sell you books etc.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #38
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
I have gone to kobo aura and it is great. Most firmware bugs how've been ironed out
But with Kobo, the next firmware "upgrade" is probably a month away, and it is guaranteed to bring new bugs.

If they could just get the firmware right with a decent UI and perfect it and then leave it alone, the Kobo would be a fantastic reader in every way. The hardware really is superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I would install Android on it, but I appreciate that is not an option for everyone.
I've thought about it, but all I really want from an ereader is to read. I don't need or even want the Facebook and other sharing nonsense with it, I don't want to play games, I don't even need wi-fi, and the older firmware of 2.4.0 has been very stable for me. It stopped 2 major issues I was having with the Glo where it would take up to 4 swipes to turn a page at least 50% of the time, and everytime I'd transfer books via Calibre, it would give a "cannot communicate with device" error (common on WinXP systems with AMD cpus for some reason). In fact it was maddening for awhile until I tried 2.4.0 and those 2 big issues pretty much went away.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #39
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Quote:
How do you find the Kindle compared to a Sony? I hear Amazon is intrusive by comparison, trying to hard-sell you books etc.
After I heard the news about Sony, I bought my first Kindle. I have a PW2.

I wouldn't characterize Amazon as intrusive. The screen displays ads, but only when the unit is turned off, or when displaying the list of books on the device.

Within books, there are no ads. So the reading experience itself is no different. That would be the deal-breaker for me.

Now that I think about it, being free of ads while reading is more important to me than being free of DRM.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #40
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
I wouldn't characterize Amazon as intrusive. The screen displays ads, but only when the unit is turned off, or when displaying the list of books on the device.
Presumably if you turn off WiFi you won't get the adverts as it cannot connect to the server. I assume books be loaded to the device via a cable?
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #41
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
That's nonsense. A banner only seen on the home page of your reader is hardly what I would call a 'hard sell'. I have the first edition Paperwhite and it doesn't even get the special offers anymore. I constantly have the ad talking about continuing to read on my other devices. The only place I see ads on the device is the home page or when looking at my collections. Nothing shows up anywhere else while I'm reading.

That's not intrusive or hard selling in my eyes. I'd say ads in magazines are more intrusive. You can't turn a few pages without seeing an ad. I can read an entire book on my device without seeing one until I go to the home page.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #42
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
But with Kobo, the next firmware "upgrade" is probably a month away, and it is guaranteed to bring new bugs.

If they could just get the firmware right with a decent UI and perfect it and then leave it alone, the Kobo would be a fantastic reader in every way. The hardware really is superb.
The latest kobo firmware is solid. So let's hope that continues ;-)
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #43
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
I don't believe I've experienced any selling on my non-Special Offers Kindle Keyboard variant ($20 more). It's quite possible that the other, more recent Kindles behave similarly, if you pay the $20 to remove the Special Offers.

So when comparison shopping, compare the +$20 priced Kindles against the other brands you're considering.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #44
Rizla
Member Retired

Re: the PW2, what about side-loading books? Does it nag you to upload them to the cloud multiple times?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #45
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
The latest kobo firmware is solid. So let's hope that continues ;-)
But it still has the home screen that looks like a chimp tried to arrange kids' blocks and failed miserably. It's the most awful looking mess to me and I'll never update even if the rest of it ever becomes stable.

I much preferred when the home screen has the 5 books on it only, the 1 I'm reading and my next 4 selections. Simple and perfectly functional for reading.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote