Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Improving connectivity?

We dont have wifi at home so when I want to use my HD+ online I turn my phone into a wifi hotspot and connect to that. However its not working very successfully. My phone shows full signal strength, and my HD+ shows its connected to my phone at full strength and yet online its so slow its pretty much useless. Pages take forever to load, its painfully slow and unresponsive. When I connect my laptop to my phone, it is much faster, its just the HD+ that is so slow.
Is there anything I can do to improve this?

I think I have found the problem - its Firefox. I put Firefox on my HD+ as thats what I use on my laptop and I like it. However Firefox doesnt seem to be a good fit with my HD+ and wifi hotspot.
I have just been trying out Chrome and its much faster.

Last edited by Chapter One; 11-15-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I think that is more of an issue with the HD+. My wife and I both have one. We both had Nook Tablets too. Our experience has been that connectivity is horrible. We could be sitting right beside the router, have full signal strength and still experience slow, spotty connectivity. Same could be said if we're sitting in the middle of our library or our local B&N store, somewhere that we should have awesome signal. It just doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. I guess we're lucky that using these things to connect for anything other than playing Words with Friends or checking the weather with some app is a rarity for us.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I use Chrome on mine and it's just as fast as my laptop. I'm running CM10.1 on mine, but it was that fast back when I was running the stock ROM.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think you'd get better speed with a wifi network at home. I've had a Linksys 160N and then a TP-LINK TL-WR841N. Both are excellent. Make sure your phone is using 4G, not 3G. My ISP says it is giving me 50 mbps. download speed. When I check with a bandwidth meter I'm getting 25 to 30 MBPS on the wifi. An added benefit is that you can set your phone to use the wifi at home and save on data.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Thanks Fredlave. Unfortunately wifi at home just isnt an option for us right now. And as for 4G, at the moment thats only available in some parts of New Zealand, but not where I live.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert