Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
ttomm46
Connoisseur
ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
simple touch with glow light

Had a Nexus 7 I sold because all I want is a dedicated reader....I've heard the Nook with glow light has a fragile screen.....Any advice on weather to buy one or not?
Tom
ttomm46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
LH07
Enthusiast
LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet
Hi not sure but I was thinking of getting a nook glow light too, but I was wondering if it has text to speech
LH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
ttomm46
Connoisseur
ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good question..
Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
i heard the screens are better now. but dont know for sure.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Both the Kindle Paperwhite series and the Kobo Aura series have better glow fuctionality than the Nook.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Both the Kindle Paperwhite series and the Kobo Aura series have better glow fuctionality than the Nook.
I dont think the op was talking about the.light function. The nook will do in a pinch. Most people nitpick the light eveness beyond belief on all the lighted ereaders. Rips or pinholes would be the two things i would be concerned with. We are talking about sturdiness here. The nook glowlight was very easily damaged in the early batches with light tears. I heard they are better now.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Get the unlighted one for $39.99 on ebay.....and the screen will be fine.

Or wait a few days (?) as an announcement of New Nooks may be pending.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
There's a survey on here. I wouldn't touch the glo unless it was dirt-cheap. The screen is fragile. The non-glo screen has better contrast. PS. Neither have TTS.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
I've had mine since Christmas and no problems with the screen so far. At first I was really careful with it, but now not so much. I've fallen asleep with it lying next to me plenty of times and dropped it on the floor a couple. Purely anecdotal evidence, I know.

(My biggest annoyance is that I have a UK Nook and it won't let me download books to my computer to back them up. Grrrr. But that's another issue).
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Did View Post
I've had mine since Christmas and no problems with the screen so far. At first I was really careful with it, but now not so much. I've fallen asleep with it lying next to me plenty of times and dropped it on the floor a couple. Purely anecdotal evidence, I know.

(My biggest annoyance is that I have a UK Nook and it won't let me download books to my computer to back them up. Grrrr. But that's another issue).
Try downloading Nook Study and sign in with your UK account. All your books should be there to download to PC.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I had similar concerns, but bought one last Christmas. I have a cover for it, but that's it. I toss it in my backpack with everything else and don't treat it differently than any other book. I had one problem when I dropped nail clippers on the screen, but other than that, the screen was fine. I got a replacement and treat it the same way, minus the nail clippers of course.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Try downloading Nook Study and sign in with your UK account. All your books should be there to download to PC.
Thanks, I did try this but unfortunately only 2 of my 6 books show up in Nook Study. I'm not sure if this is to do with publishers' preferences or what, but it's frustrating to say the least. Seems like my only options are either to root my Nook, or to buy from elsewhere (which is what I mostly have been doing). I swear it's like B & N really don't want my money...
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Did View Post
Thanks, I did try this but unfortunately only 2 of my 6 books show up in Nook Study. I'm not sure if this is to do with publishers' preferences or what, but it's frustrating to say the least. Seems like my only options are either to root my Nook, or to buy from elsewhere (which is what I mostly have been doing). I swear it's like B & N really don't want my money...
Try signing on to the US barnes and noble site with your UK username (works for me but I had a US account before geo-restrictions kicked in so your mileage may vary)

I can also use the nook app on my phone and manually copy the files to my PC, depends how accessible your phone file structure is though.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Never mind...sorry

Last edited by mystika1; 10-31-2013 at 06:25 PM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
ttomm46
Connoisseur

No nook glo for now i guess