Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Mick_Belgium
Mick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3
Setting active dictionary?

Hi dear Kobo users,

Here's a potentially stupid question: how do you change the active dictionary? I have my Kobo Glo's interface set in Dutch, and the Dutch dictionary (one of several that came with the device) is installed. However, when I select a word in a Dutch book, I only get a message that the word is not found in the English dictionary.

The same happens when I set my Kobo interface to French: the active dictionary is still the English one. I don't see any other option on the device to switch active dictionaries.

Thanks in advance!
Mick_Belgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
From my experience, the dictionary's language comes from the language set in the metadata of the epub you're reading.

The language of your ereader is not important.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Can I ask what firmware you are using?

I had problems with the dictionaries, when I updated to the latest firmware 2.3.1 the problems disappeared. Before that (and now actually since I went back for 2.1.5) I use a trick that tshering thought me in the forum, here it is maybe it will work for you also.

Originally Posted by tshering
Quote:
You can try renaming the dictionary files on {drive letter}:\.kobo\dict.
Rename for instance dicthtml.zip to dicthtml-en-fr.zip, and dicthtml-en-pt.zip to dicthtml.zip. Then instead of the English definition dictionary the English-Protuguese dictionary will appear, and instead of the French-English dictionary the English definition dictionary will appear. Be aware that the menu entries will not change and will therefore show incorrect information (English definition and French-English).
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote