Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I read an article a few years ago about the price of things in the USA (I think the article was mostly talking about cell phones and how Europe is way ahead of us in technology). It was talking about DVDs in China and how most things are pirated over there. One line said "only in America are we dumb enough to pay $20 - $30 for a movie." The same article mentioned that Microsoft Office Pro sells for $27 in China, where here it's around $750.

Maybe Canadians are just dumb enough to pay more for ebooks.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Canadians pay more than Americans for almost every product. It is a shopper's paradise south of the border.

Reasons include economy of scale and historically low currency valuations.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I had a pal once who lived in Toronto and another in detroit. They had an interesting arrangement. The detroit man shipped things to the toronto man things that he could get cheaper in detroit and the detroit man got health insuance in Canada via the toronto pal. One got cheaper heath care insurance and the other got cheaper things from Detrot. In cash value it came out to the same amount.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #20
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I had a pal once who lived in Toronto and another in detroit. They had an interesting arrangement. The detroit man shipped things to the toronto man things that he could get cheaper in detroit and the detroit man got health insuance in Canada via the toronto pal. One got cheaper heath care insurance and the other got cheaper things from Detrot. In cash value it came out to the same amount.
Buh? Are you talking about prescription drugs when you say health care? Cause I have no idea how it'd work otherwise, unless the Toronto guy let the Detroit guy use his health card... Or is there perhaps some kind of commercial health insurance available to Canadians that can be used south of the border, and the Detroit guy somehow managed to buy it through his Toronto friend...

I realize you may not know the details, I'm just thinking "out loud" really.

Last edited by K. Molen; 12-23-2012 at 12:02 AM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #21
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Maybe Canadians are just dumb enough to pay more for ebooks.
Well, the market will charge what consumers are willing to bear. I'm usually okay with that, though I do find the rise in prices of second hand goods annoying. (I was able to buy a large box of used books for $5 about 15 years ago. These days, getting two used books for that price can be challenging.)