Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #76
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
I didn't say XP works and W7 doesn't - I said W7Pro on my work network works, W7Home on my home network doesn't. I tried totally turning off my firewall and anti-virus. And yes, I've tried sideloading both through Calibre and windows explorer - neither worked for me.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #77
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
And yes, I've tried sideloading both through Calibre and windows explorer - neither worked for me.
If side loading via windows explorer is not working I don't think you have the books metadata correct or you are not connected to the internet (since the cover actually comes from the amazon server). You also may want to start over with a fresh book in case you've been using the same one. Perhaps something in the Kindle databases/files is hosed up. I ended up deleting all my books and the /system/thumbnails entries and starting fresh. Not sure if that helped or not as my real issue was not being connected to the internet.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #78
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
If side loading via windows explorer is not working I don't think you have the books metadata correct or you are not connected to the internet (since the cover actually comes from the amazon server).
I am connected to the internet. And I've got the metadata right because when I use my work computer to do the Calibre personal server, connect to that with my kindle, and download the files, it works like a charm - good covers and no "personal" banner. I know it's bizarre - why would getting the file over the 'net work, but sideloading it doesn't? Makes no sense, but that's what's happening for me. It's not a bid deal for me, because I don't mind waiting until I'm at work to transfer the books. But I'm quite curious about it all.

One question - after you download the metadata from Amazon, and use the Quality Check, do you re-convert the book? I don't need to, when getting the book via the personal server, and yet I don't know how the good metadata gets into the book file I downloaded if I don't re-convert (and yet it works). And for sideloading, it doesn't seem to matter if I reconvert after getting the good metadata or not - neither way works.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #79
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
why would getting the file over the 'net work, but sideloading it doesn't? Makes no sense, but that's what's happening for me. .
That really is strange. I have not tried over the network but copying over via USB into the documents directory has worked fine for me. Have you tried copying over USB from work?

Quote:
One question - after you download the metadata from Amazon, and use the Quality Check, do you re-convert the book? I don't need to, when getting the book via the personal server, and yet I don't know how the good metadata gets into the book file I downloaded if I don't re-convert (and yet it works). And for sideloading, it doesn't seem to matter if I reconvert after getting the good metadata or not - neither way works.
I don't reconvert the book after Quality Check. I do reconvert after updating the metadata from Amazon and before using Quality Check.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #80
vermontcathy
Connoisseur

Although I'm curious and love a challenge, I'm going to stop trying sideloading. It never works for me, and for some reason I now have 2 or 3 books (the ones I was messing around with sideloading) that won't show covers even when I get them from the personal server. I see no evidence of the books on my PW - nothing in the thumbnails folder, etc., but somehow repeatedly trying to sideload has made my PW cranky towards those books. Downloading from my Calibre personal server, after following the steps above, always works for me, as long as I haven't experimented with sideloading first. Makes no sense, I know...
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #81
Greg G
Groupie

I hear you vermontcathy. At some point we actually have to spend some time reading
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #82
elgabo
elgabo doesn't litterelgabo doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite
I make some test and found that calibre use Calibre's UUID as the ASIN number (EXTH 113) when convert to mobi. Checked with MobiMetaEditorV0.16

Verifying with mac kindle.app this is enough for last page syncing.

So my problem only is with the covert art not appear in the PW after "sent to device" from calibre.

I check in the /system/thumbnails and calibre put a thumbnail file there, but comparing with the other files this is too small, so I check the resolution of the other files (book downloaded from amazon) and the difference is that the other files all have between 214px and 216px width.

I resize the thumbnail in the calibre library to be exact 216px width and copy to /system/thumbnails with the same name that calibre uses, the result the covert art shows perfectly in the PW.

So my steps:
1.- Convert the book to mobi with standard options and [EBOK] tag in the "personal Doc Tag."
2.- DO NOT check "Enable sharing…"
3.- Send to Device
4.- click on "Path: Click to open" on the side bar of calibre
5.- resize the cover.jpg to be 216px width. PLEASE DO THIS IN ANOTHER DIRECTORY WITH A COPY OF THE FILE. DO NOT MODIFY THE cover.jpg
6.- rename this resized jpg to the same name of the thumbnail in the kindle's "/system/thumbnails" directory
7.- replace the /system/thumbnails file with this new one

Hope this help
Gabo
elgabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #83
Greg G
Groupie

You cracked it! Worked for me as well! The PW will only use the cover if it has a width within a certain range (200 worked as well). Calibre resizes smaller (e.g. 134, 123,...). It looks like this could be an easy enhancement to Calibre!

EDIT: For the best results resize to 216x330 so all the covers don't have different heights. I know this may cause a slight change in aspect ratio but I think it looks much better in cover view.

Last edited by Greg G; 10-13-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #84
elgabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
...For the best results resize to 216x330 so all the covers don't have different heights. I know this may cause a slight change in aspect ratio but I think it looks much better in cover view.
I have original Amazon book that show different heights and look awful.

If the proportion of the book cover is near 1:1.5, I suggest to maintain the aspect ratio, otherwise your suggestion is correct.

I believe too, this would be easy for calibre, but how knows. Finger crossed.

Gabo
Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #85
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That would seem to confirm my suspicions... Good to know .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I *think* Calibre's simply embedding/pointing to a thumbnail that's simply too small for the higher res screen of the PW.

I'll look into the whole cover shebang once I get my PW (in... a while ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #86
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That would seem to confirm my suspicions... Good to know .
You did call that out a long time ago. I read that and had played around with the sizes but used my image as the cover in the metadata rather than copying them over to the thumbnails directory. Live and learn

I wonder if there is a way to tweak this in configuration files. I browsed some of the python scripts and such and don't see anything obvious. suspect it is out of reach without getting into the code.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #87
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Greg G: AFAIR, no, not that simple. As I said, I'll look into it when my PW gets here .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #88
elgabo

I just code a little plugin to fix this in the post kindle paperwhite thumbnail fix

PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION AND ONLY FOR THE PAPERWHITE

I didn't know distinguish between kindles yet.

Gabo
Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #89
vermontcathy
Connoisseur

I have used some plug-ins, but not a lot. I just install this plug in, and then what? Do I need to reconvert, or no? Just sending books to the PW from Calibre will then work?

One question - in another thread you discussed changing the aspect ratio so they are all the same height. The height doesn't bother me, and I'd prefer non-distorted covers. Does your plug-in change the aspect ratio?

I installed the plug-in, then transferred a book to my PW and the cover doesn't show. Am I doing something wrong?

EDITED to add that the steps in post #82 work great - Thank you so much. It's only the plug-in that I have trouble with.

Last edited by vermontcathy; 10-14-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #90
elgabo

Restart calibre and try again with a book that your are not transfer previously to your kindle.

Check that the plugin is installed in preferences - plugins

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. THIS IS JUST A TEST AND NOT A FINAL WORK. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.