Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #31
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
i dont like lighting on an eink screen.it just takes out the eink paper look and starts looking somewhat like a real screen.for me in the fight between the ability for the screen to like paper vs the ability to read at night the ability to like paper wins hands down,it is the uniqueness of an eink screen.if i really want to rea at night,i would:
1.read on an lcd
2.or turn on the lights
3.or use a clip on light r a lighted cover.i dont care about weight.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #32
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
i dont like lighting on an eink screen.it just takes out the eink paper look and starts looking somewhat like a real screen.for me in the fight between the ability for the screen to like paper vs the ability to read at night the ability to like paper wins hands down,it is the uniqueness of an eink screen.if i really want to rea at night,i would:
1.read on an lcd
2.or turn on the lights
3.or use a clip on light r a lighted cover.i dont care about weight.
I think you are being narrow minded. The front light on eInk is much better than the backlight on an LCD. And unlike backlighting on LCDs, the front light can be turned off when you don't need it, so you have no drawback, albeit a slight drop in contrast due to the light distribution layer. It is a nice idea, you get the good qualities of eInk, while getting the chance to keep reading when the ambient light is too dim.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #33
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i know but some contrast and paper look is lost with light on wich is the main feature of eink.i wouldnt trade night/low lit reading for some contrast and some paper look.for that i have my lighted cover.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #34
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Features I want from my next Kindle (or other ebook reader)
  1. long battery life (weeks or months, not hours or days)
  2. robust screen (no glass substrate)
  3. higher resolution screen
  4. front light
  5. colour
How about touch versus buttons? I'm still on a K3 because I really want back/forward buttons like on the K3 because it makes it so easy to read with one hand and switch hands. Apart from that, hmm.. a better on/off/reboot switch than a K3. If it had a front light, there should be an on/off button for that too, or a light detector so that it isn't on (draining battery) during the day.
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #35
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
i know but some contrast and paper look is lost with light on wich is the main feature of eink.i wouldnt trade night/low lit reading for some contrast and some paper look.for that i have my lighted cover.
You don't have to trade night/low light lit reading, the device won't force you to use the light you can always keep it turned off.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #36
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Isn't there a slight difference to the screen though? I am sure that I've read comments about the Nook that while the screen looks great with the light switched on, when the light isn't on the screen isn't quite as clear?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleissin View Post
How about touch versus buttons?
A good question. Yes, I'd rather my device had physical 'next page' buttons, (one either side), even if it also has a touch screen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Isn't there a slight difference to the screen though? I am sure that I've read comments about the Nook that while the screen looks great with the light switched on, when the light isn't on the screen isn't quite as clear?
Yes, any kind of light diffuser is going to have some negative impact on screen clarity. The worst example of that was the disastrous Sony PRS-700, which was the first eInk device to have a built-in light. It was great with the light on, but like reading through thick fog when the light was off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #39
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

i prefer touch.the buttons are not conveniently located.the current side buttons are on the very edge the bezel,but i rest my hands on the middle of the bezel.with touch screen it is no moving,just a matter of tilting the thumb.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #40
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, any kind of light diffuser is going to have some negative impact on screen clarity. The worst example of that was the disastrous Sony PRS-700, which was the first eInk device to have a built-in light. It was great with the light on, but like reading through thick fog when the light was off.
The Sony is an extreme case, the lights severely impacted readability. The technology used in the nook glow is much better; I do not own one, but I have played with one and you can hardly tell the difference with a nook touch. I would expect the new "kindle with light" to be similar.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #41
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
On the B&N Glow light, does the glow light turn on automatically when it is needed or do you need to push a button to turn it on?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #42
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
On the B&N Glow light, does the glow light turn on automatically when it is needed or do you need to push a button to turn it on?
As far as I know you need to turn it on, I don't think it has a light sensor that automatically switches the glow on.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #43
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleissin View Post
How about touch versus buttons? I'm still on a K3 because I really want back/forward buttons...
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #44
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How much extra would you be willing to pay for the front light? I might pay $10 additional for that, don't think its really worth more than that. I am rather eager to see the new kindle pricing announcement for 2012 XMas season.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #45
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
How much extra would you be willing to pay for the front light? I might pay $10 additional for that, don't think its really worth more than that. I am rather eager to see the new kindle pricing announcement for 2012 XMas season.
Nothing. I don't think they would have any luck by increasing the price. If they did, they would really need to keep selling the earlier versions and I would think they will replace the earlier versions with the new one ie the new version of the Touch 3G has an extra feature. If they did decide to increase the price they would have one of two scenarios. First, continue to sell the existing models plus the front lit one. Are we only going to see one model with front light or a few. The more models they introduce front lit displays to, they more of a range they have to manage and support or in other words a bigger and bigger headache. Currently, Amazon has 6 models in the market. If they add a front light model, that would be 7 models to manage. If they do a front lit version of each of them except the Fire which doesn't need it, that would be 11 products which is mind boggling when you think of the manufacturing, marketing, logistics, packaging, support etc. The other option is for them to drop the old versions, add front lit versions but charge more for it. B&N currently charge $99 for the simple Touch and $139 for the Touch Glow compared to Amazon charging $139 for the Touch and $189 for the Touch 3G. Obviously, there are other ereaders on the market to compare with And Amazon's marketing department is probably busy comparing against all of them but for the purposes of this discussion, humor me, please. Now yes, we are not comparing apples with apples here but the basic Amazon Touch is the same price as the B&N Glow and the features for most customers are pretty much the same other than the added glow feature. Once Amazon comes out with a Glow Touch, will there be something that says to customers "buy ours, not theirs"?

So, my $0.02 on the price is that they would immediately or gradually drop the non front lit versions and replace them with front lit versions and the price would remain where they are. The price for the non front light versions would drop as they get rid of old stock.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote