Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Unhappy Kobo Touch frozen on Please Charge screen

I bought my Kobo Touch a week and a half ago. I believe it upgraded itself to the latest software release when I plugged it in (1.9.something). Yesterday I started using it and the battery charge was showing a quarter when I switched it on. After several minutes it swapped to the 'Please Charge Your eReader' screen. I connected it to my PC using the USB cable and nothing happened - even after leaving it for over an hour. A soft reset (pin in hole in the back) has no effect. It's still showing this screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you plug in the USB cable are you being prompted on the Kobo by a message Computer Detected and asked to select Connect or Cancel?

If not, it sounds like either a faulty USB port OR faulty USB cable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I agree with the previous poster- try a different USB port. I had this problem with a Nokia N95 and a Win XP box some years ago. It would charge on the rear USB ports but not on the front ones.
Don't know how much juice the Kobo draws but if you have a lowish powered PSU in your PC that could be a cause- you can work around this by using a powered USB hub.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Thanks for the suggestions. The Kobo worked fine earlier in the week on the same port with the same cable though I didn't have the Please Charge screen. Now nothing is happening when I plug the Kobo in. I've tried it on a different computer with the same result. I'm using the cable that came with the Kobo.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Sounds like either the cable or the Kobo has developed a fault. I'd try a different cable, if possible, and if that doesn't work you need to contact Kobo support.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could also try an external charger. Nowadays many phones and other devices come with little chargers that have a USB connection on them to charge phones etc.

Try using that on the Kobo. Many of us use Blackberry or similar chargers.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
tsb1
Enthusiast

I'll see if I can get my hands on one. I don't own a suitable cable/charger myself.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
tsb1
Enthusiast

If you plug in an external charger does the screen change to say Charging or something similar?
Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
If nothing else works try doing a hard reset. Do this by holding the power-slider and the home button at the same time for 10 seconds. This worked for me when mine was frozen.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Mine froze on the connected and charging screen.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #11
tsb1
Enthusiast

Nothing seems to work. I've tried an external charger, there was no change. I've tried the hard reset, nothing changes. I'm waiting for a reply from the helpdesk but if I don't hear soon it'll be going back to the shop for a refund. Which is a shame because I liked it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

It sounds like the USB port on the Kobo itself might be faulty. Others have seen this..
Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@tsb1: since it is only 1 1/2wk's old I would take it back to where you purchased it directly and ask for an exchange. I'm unsure where/how you purchased it, nor am I up on UK consumer law, but any decent retailer should just swap it for a new one.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
tsb1
Enthusiast

I've exchanged it for a new one this morning so fingers crossed this one is better built. Logged call with Kobo Tuesday evening; apart from initial response with log number I've still to hear back and it's past the 24-48 hours that I could 'anticipate a response' in.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb1 View Post
I've exchanged it for a new one this morning so fingers crossed this one is better built. Logged call with Kobo Tuesday evening; apart from initial response with log number I've still to hear back and it's past the 24-48 hours that I could 'anticipate a response' in.
Thats good to hear (re: the swap out). Less encouraging about the lack of reply from support. People have been expressing dissatisfaction on this front which is a shame as the devices are really nice when working.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote