Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
rcool
Edge User

cut and paste

Is there some way to do cut/copy & paste?

First thing I needed to do was enter my WEP wireless password. It was rather long and tedious typing in twice and having it reject, so I had to shorten it. I couldn't figure out any way to either copy it from my PC or enter it somewhere e.g. note pad, then paste it into the password fields!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
D4N14L
Edge User

In textboxes there is. Just press and hold the textbox until the menu pops up. As for stuff like browser text, I don't believe so, but I do know that Opera Mini 5 allows you to select text.

Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
rcool
Edge User

Thanks, Boris. Maybe I'm a little slow, and certainly need to spend more time playing with the eDGe, but how do you see the clipboard and more importantly do the paste? For example you mention the browser, so if I copy some text how do I paste it into the search bar?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
sivalesvaleo
Edge User

Hey guys, I'm seriously considering the Edge. I research extensively and would like to replace my 150-pages-of-pdfs-a-week habit with the Edge. From the videos, I see the annotation and highlighting features, but I have not seen a demo of the copy-and-paste feature. What I need, and it is really a deal breaker, is the ability to highlight at least 4-5 lines of text from a non-DRM pdf (Google book, for example), copy that text to the Edge's clipboard, and paste it in a document or email. Can the Edge do this? Does it do it well? What is the capacity of the copy-and-paste software? Can it handle 10, 15, 20 lines of text? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Works great! I tried that feature yesterday, I can add relevant passages from textbooks to my class notes.

Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
sivalesvaleo
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Works great! I tried that feature yesterday, I can add relevant passages from textbooks to my class notes.
Thanks for information!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
sivalesvaleo
Edge User

Google books scanned images :(

I went to the apple store to look at the Ipad and the software. I realized that most of the pdfs that I work with are scanned as images and have not been rendered into text through OCR. Unless there is an easy way around this, I probably won't buy either.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
dcubed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivalesvaleo View Post
I went to the apple store to look at the Ipad and the software. I realized that most of the pdfs that I work with are scanned as images and have not been rendered into text through OCR. Unless there is an easy way around this, I probably won't buy either.
Well, there are often two download available from Google books, pdf and ePub. ePub is OCR (not always pretty, though), so you can resize text, copy, etc. Right now, I can't get the eDGe to display the Google pdfs with images. I just get the text. The ePub has both, but I dislike the OCR look. Some other pdfs work great, but not those from Google books. Sigh.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
dcubed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivalesvaleo View Post
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering the Edge. I research extensively and would like to replace my 150-pages-of-pdfs-a-week habit with the Edge. From the videos, I see the annotation and highlighting features, but I have not seen a demo of the copy-and-paste feature. What I need, and it is really a deal breaker, is the ability to highlight at least 4-5 lines of text from a non-DRM pdf (Google book, for example), copy that text to the Edge's clipboard, and paste it in a document or email. Can the Edge do this? Does it do it well? What is the capacity of the copy-and-paste software? Can it handle 10, 15, 20 lines of text? Thanks in advance!
Well, I don't know the capability - but I just tried copying and pasting ~20 lines of text to the notepad and it worked great! The biggest problem with pdfs from Google books is that they are image files, not text. So, you can't highlight the text. Now, I have seen many books there with two download options, pdf and ePub. The ePub *is* a text format, via OCR, and you can highlight those texts (it's what I just copied/pasted from, a Google books ePub file). Also, I believe most of the books in Gutenberg are also OCR text.

I just tried to copy/paste with one of the image pdfs from Google books that I have (on my pc with Adobe 8.1) and it didn't work, either. It also could not search for a word in the document. So, the eDGe is not more limited than Adobe for these image pdfs. Well, except that I haven't been able to get the eDGe to display the images (illustrations) that are in the pdfs. Tech support is working on it.