Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
AdamT
AdamT began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Converting vCards to a PDF address book

Prompted by a suggesting over in another forum, I've written a short java application which takes vCards as exported by the Palm address book and creates a PDF optimised for the Reader. It should work with any source of vCard.

The PDF will show a menu of letters at the bottom of the screen which you can navigate using the joystick. When you have select a letter (actually, group of letters), you are taken to a list of addresses beginning with those letters. You then choose the address you're interested in, and it's displayed.

I don't display everything in the vCard at the moment. If you decide try this out, please let me know if there's anything else you would like to see.

This is the first release and there is at least one bug: each vCard must contain an "N" record (ideally "N" and "FN"). In fact the vCard4j library I used is a little buggy in other areas too, so I've included my lightly-patched version of it.

For sake of efficiency, I haven't included all the 3rd party jar files in the upload. You'll need to download the latest copy of xercesImpl.jar, xalan.jar and itext-2.0.4.jar and place them in the lib directory after extracting the archive. If you have a problem locating them, let me know.

For information on how to run the program, invoke it with
java -jar AddressBook2Reader

Comments/suggestions are welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AddressBook2Reader.zip (142.5 KB, 607 views)
AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote