Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #16
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
Although VXF profited from Sony's error, at least so far, I agree he was treated rudely by Sony as he relates the details of the conversation. Classic case of an honest guy trying to do the right thing only to have things go wrong in the process. I probably would have hung on to the reader for a little longer though before giving it away. Returning it to Sony before they ask for it would likely end in Sony accusing him he never returned it if they ever figure out what happened in the first place.
I want to hug you. I really needed some support here.

Just kidding.

You are probably right about hanging on to the reader for a while longer being rational. On the other side, there is no way I was ever returning it to them...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
vxf, I for one completely agree with you. I would have felt the exact same way in that situation, and I'm not an easily excitable person.

This is not a matter of you getting lucky and ending up with an extra e-reader, it's a matter of customer service not comprehending something so simple and treating you so rudely. If it were me, I would've asked to speak to the supervisor's boss.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #18
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I get your point. As I said above, I don't plan on saying anything. Or doing anything. Also, note that it is not likely to happen... but if it does, they are not getting a reader, or money, from me, if I can help it. Not after behaving like that. Really, it's not about money... fortunately, I don't have to worry about $250, nor do I desire to swindle them out of it. It's just the principle.

At that point... I am not sure what they can do... I guess they can try to go the legal way. Not that it would be worth it, but maybe they will take it as a matter of principle, just the way I am now. If that ever happens, I will make sure to post an update here
I'm just going by my prevous experiences when trying to get Readers Digest to take back unwanted books they have sent me in the past. (several years ago now...)

I dont have to waste any time ort money arranging the return of the unwanted books, but legally they are not mine no matter how long I have them, and dont have any right to to dispose of them.

From what I remember when investigating what I needed to do, is ignore any and all demands from the company to pay for the unwanted items, write to them ONCE stating I did not ask for, need, or want the unwanted items and that they needed to make prepaid arrangements for me to returm the unwanted items, and give them a reasonable time to do that. I seem to remeber six months was an acceptable timeframe I had to follow.

If the didn't provide that solution, then I needed to send them one more letter giving them one more month to arrange the return of the unwanted items otherwise they would be disposed of to cover my costs including my time.

I had to do this 3 times for unwanted books sent by Readers Digest, and after that I always recieved prepaid packaging to return any unwanted books.

I would have hung on to the ereader, kept the packaging, not used it, and written to them advising them I had recieved it in error and they needed to make arrangements to have it returned.
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #19
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Sorry they treated you like a liar. Stupidity on their part, as with most CS people who assume that whatever you are saying is the same thing that everyone else who has called them is saying. I think that most ereader companies have lousy CS except for Amazon Kindle.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 AM   #20
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
No, not quite. When they failed to understand me, I patiently explained again. When they failed to understand again, I asked to talk to a supervisor. It is only when that supervisor openly accused me of lying to him that I decided to close the conversation and keep the unit.[...]
I understand how you feel. You tried to be honest and that guy treated you like crap. What's more, legally you're probably in the clear too, since they essentially sent you a third device without you asking for anything - you usually get to keep unsolicited things you get through the mail without strings attached.

But, deep down you know this device isn't yours and they made a mistake. Right? And one idiot dude working at Sony isn't the whole of Sony either.

All I'm saying is, in your place, I'd have returned it with a note explaining their cock-up, and possibly how their rep insulted me over the phone too. That would have been the honest thing to do. Also, more often than not, I find that big corporations usually take that sort of mail much more seriously than incidents that come through telephone support, and tend to send coupons and vouchers your way to avoid losing you and the people you know as customers. Remember, most call centers are overseas, and the guys who pick up the phone either don't understand what you say, or don't give a toss, or both. The marketing manager working at the address to which you ship back one of their products and a complaint letter doesn't however.

The worst that could have happened is, you'd have lost the money for the shipment, in which case you'd have known for sure what to make of Sony as a whole.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #21
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Anyhow... do you know whether the latest book by Eco is available in any digital format, preferably in Italian?
Non lo so.

But, you might want to ask on the "Reading Recommendations" forum.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #22
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Non lo so.

But, you might want to ask on the "Reading Recommendations" forum.
I found it finally, libreria Rizzoli online, but it is the worst ebook I have ever seen. Why would someone thinking that bold font FOR THE ENTIRE BOOK was a good idea? Silly Italians...

And to everyone else... thanks for your feedback, support, encouragement in this difficult predicament. No, really, kidding, but it's nice to hear someone else shares my feelings, I was starting to wonder...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #23
Kingpool7
Kingpool7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
You are lucky You have some Sony CS. We poor bastards here have none. When I asked for help I got such response, that if I answered such way to any of my customers I would be fired same day.

Probably Sony can allow that tho, their product is just that good. I still bought it even with previous knowledge how awful their support in Estonia is. I just have to handle issues myself.
Kingpool7 is offline   Reply With Quote