Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: iPad mini retina or regular iPad?
Definitely the iPad Mini retina 34 56.67%
Definitely the regular iPad 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #46
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Does DocsToGo open faster than Pages?
I don't know, because I have never used Pages. Pages/Numbers/Keynote is unusable for me because it does not support Dropbox, which is a must for me.

DocsToGo is fast enough for anything I need to do. I use it to edit Excel files every day.

Quote:
Nevermind. I see Documents and Pages are Apples and filing systems.
No, heaven forbid, Documents is not by Apple. It's too smart for that. If Documents was by Apple, you couldn't do anything with it, least of all manage your cloud files stored in various cloud services like Dropbox or SugarSync. Documents is by Readdle, but it's not meant for editing. It's basically a superb file explorer in the cloud (or a number of clouds).
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #47
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson;2663872No, heaven forbid, Documents is not by Apple. It's too smart for that. If Documents was by Apple, you couldn't do [I
anything[/I] with it, least of all manage your cloud files stored in various cloud services like Dropbox or SugarSync. Documents is by Readdle, but it's not meant for editing. It's basically a superb file explorer in the cloud (or a number of clouds).
I use ES File Explorer for my Android device, it connects to google drive, dropbox, sugarsync, Skydrive, S3, box, etc.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #48
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's what Documents by Readdle does on iOS.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Is it November 1 yet? My wife is waiting for my old iPad.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #50
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I use ES File Explorer for my Android device, it connects to google drive, dropbox, sugarsync, Skydrive, S3, box, etc.
I didn't know ES File Explorer could do all that, I thought it just explored the files on the device, but I have just experimented with an Android Downloader app and I can download mobi files and send them to Amazon. So that's one more tick in the Android box , but I still love my iPad.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #51
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I didn't know ES File Explorer could do all that, I thought it just explored the files on the device, but I have just experimented with an Android Downloader app and I can download mobi files and send them to Amazon. So that's one more tick in the Android box , but I still love my iPad.
Yes, just select the network tab in es file explorer, you will see cloud select cloud then the plus to add drop box, gdrive, etc. it works great.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #52
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Yes, just select the network tab in es file explorer, you will see cloud select cloud then the plus to add drop box, gdrive, etc. it works great.
Thanks, I'll try it out as I have that app too. I also need the ability to download from a web site, hopefully either ES or the other app can do that.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #53
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
So that's one more tick in the Android box , but I still love my iPad.
There are countless iOS apps (including simple browsers! see my favourite iOS browser, Atomic Web Browser) that can download and locally store MOBI (and any other) files and send them to any iOS app. This is absolutely trivial functionality that has been available on iOS for ages.

(Naturally, Apple's dumb lame default iOS apps don't even offer that trivial functionality, but in my experience, that's what Apple's software typically is: dumb and useless, and ugly to boot. It's very wrong to judge iOS on the basis of lame default iOS apps; I ignore them on my iDevices.)

Quote:
Is it November 1 yet? My wife is waiting for my old iPad.
It will be interesting to see what "later in November" means in Apple parlance, regarding the availability of iPad mini Retina. Is "later in November" November 15th? Or November 30th? And will there be sufficient numbers for purchase, or will it be a struggle like iPhone 5S Gold, or the "white" iPhone in earlier years? If the new iPad mini Retina turns out to be very difficult to obtain in the pre-Christmas period, many folks might opt for iPad Air if only because of that. (And conspiracy theorists would claim that that would have been the intended effect.)
Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I use SanDisk Memory Zone to manage my clouds.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #55
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've been doing a lot more photography editing on the iPad3, and would like to get the new one, but that has all kinds of other consequences, one of which is having to replace my Logitech Ultraslim keyboard. I think I'll be waiting a while yet, until thats available, because its been a real boon, having it. I'll be getting the largest capacity I can, as well, instead of going "cheap" and only getting 16GB and this time I think I'll also get the LTE model, even if I don't have a SIM in it all the time (which I won't)... its just easier than carrying an extra gadget to get data access when away from home.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #56
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I've been doing a lot more photography editing on the iPad3, and would like to get the new one, but that has all kinds of other consequences, one of which is having to replace my Logitech Ultraslim keyboard. I think I'll be waiting a while yet, until thats available, because its been a real boon, having it. I'll be getting the largest capacity I can, as well, instead of going "cheap" and only getting 16GB and this time I think I'll also get the LTE model, even if I don't have a SIM in it all the time (which I won't)... its just easier than carrying an extra gadget to get data access when away from home.
If you haven't already decided on the iPad Air, another option is the 4th generation iPad. There's some pretty nice discounts on Apple refurbished iPad 4 and since the chassis is the same as the iPad 3, you can keep using the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard you already have. Right now, the iPad 4 128GB LTE is $729 which is the same price as the iPad Air 32GB LTE.

I need a 128GB Verizon iPad so right now, I'm pondering whether I should get the iPad Air or just the refurb iPad 4 for $200 less.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #57
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

I wouldn't go back to iPad 4 or 3 (let alone 2) at this point, regardless of possible savings. iPad Air is a stunning device; the reductions in weight, size and thickness are dramatic; it's the tablet to have if you're buying a 10-inch tablet in the next few weeks.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #58
Heitor
Enthusiast
Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.

Device: iPad Air 2, Nexus 7 (2013), Zenfone 3 5.5, Kobo Aura
iPad Air, all the way, no need to think twice. I appreciate the larger size, more convenient for reading PDF. And I'll certainly be pleased with the size and weight reduction.
Heitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #59
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I wouldn't go back to iPad 4 or 3 (let alone 2) at this point, regardless of possible savings. iPad Air is a stunning device; the reductions in weight, size and thickness are dramatic; it's the tablet to have if you're buying a 10-inch tablet in the next few weeks.
Depends on your priorities/requirements, no? For me, the weight and size reduction while compelling, isn't exactly a game changer. At 478 g (LTE), it's still too heavy for single-handed usage. Most of the time, I just have it propped somewhere and it's not like the desk or couch is going to complain about the extra weight. That said, I like new and shiny things so I still might spend extra for the iPad Air.

Now if Apple had released a 256GB iPad Air, that would be an automatic buy for me (even if it costs $1,029).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-23-2013 at 10:21 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #60
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Yes, everyone has different priorities. I couldn't care less about expanded local storage in this cloud era. 16 GB is perfectly enough for me. Especially because I own and daily use 3 tablets + the phone, so expanded local storage would be useless for me. I need some central storage space (in the cloud) from which I can download whatever I need to any of my handheld devices or regular computers on demand.