Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #721
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I believe this font isn't sharable. It's own by Microsoft.
There is an archive going around called Georgia eInk. It contains different weight versions. But, the fonts are defective. The don't line up properly on the baseline.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #722
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
*Every* computer since 1996 or so has it installed, as it is one of the core fonts for the web.

You can get it about everywhere (even in most Linux repositories), modify it, and share it; officially, it's not allowed, but basically it comes down to it that nobody seems to care (as long as you don't try to earn money with it).
That is a dangerous grey line. Would it be ok to download a free drm-ed book from Amazon, remove the drm, then distribute it? I think not. And reasoning that said book could have been gotten from Project Gutenberg for free, doesn't mean you can do what you want with the Amazon version. Even redistributing PG books is not easy with their licence. The only way to distribute them is by removing everything mentioning PG, then you are ok, otherwise no.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #723
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
*Every* computer since 1996 or so has it installed, as it is one of the core fonts for the web.

You can get it about everywhere (even in most Linux repositories), modify it, and share it; officially, it's not allowed, but basically it comes down to it that nobody seems to care (as long as you don't try to earn money with it).
So basically the real answer is that would violate Mobileread's Policy so no it's not sharable.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #724
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Reading the EULA it looks like it's safe to distribute the unmodified files, as long as
Quote:
... the packages are kept in their original format (.exe or .sit.hqx) and original filenames (e.g. times32.exe) and not used to add value to commercial products.
(according to the wikipedia.)

It's been available at sourceforge for almost a decade, and they're normally pretty good with IP infringement.

On the other hand, a modified Georgia would clearly be against the EULA.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #725
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post

Thanks I haven't had time to go looking for the license.

I Pretty much stop looking for fonts. I have enough. I have Four fonts on my Kindle. Amasis is various sizes, Caecilia in two sizes with weight added and Palatino resized smaller and made taller with weight added and....

....The font I use the most is surprise, Trebuchet. I went back and upsize by 2% and added more weight. I got mine from my Kindle Fire so it was already optimized for eReading. I love this font! For a dyslexic like me it's really helps me to read more. I have read for hours and hours in the past week (I broke my pinky toe and I am laid up) without any side effects I once had with the other fonts where I had to take breaks.

So I am pretty much done with playing with fonts. I have found the font that let's me enjoy my Kindle to the fullest.

I still have the two font sets (Gentium Book & Charis SIL) I offer through PM but please do not ask me to share any other fonts I have shown in this thread. I can't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_03_06T15_21_22-0501.png
Views:	415
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	102388  

Last edited by Blossom; 03-06-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #726
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I Pretty much stop looking for fonts. I have enough.
I heard that before from you. May you resist from keep looking and start enjoying reading on your eReaders.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #727
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I heard that before from you. May you resist from keep looking and start enjoying reading on your eReaders.
Yes but I really mean it this time. Trebuchet is perfect for me. I get more lines per page and it doesn't need to be huge like the other fonts I was using for me not to have issues. I can read with it in dark or light settings and no eye strain.

I use this font on my KF but it's too skinny on the PW so a little editing and now it's perfect. I'd take a pic of it on the PW if I could but seeing I am pretty much immobile till this toe heals I can't even go looking for the camera. The black and white screenshot does not do it justice though.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #728
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Palentino on setting 5.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #729
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One thing I noticed is that having extra fonts does take up space. So if you have too many fonts it can gobble up HD space on the Kindle quickly.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #730
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
Reading the EULA
Unless of course, you just offered a binary patch.
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #731
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One thing I noticed is that having extra fonts does take up space. So if you have too many fonts it can gobble up HD space on the Kindle quickly.
That's logical. They're files, thus they'll take up space.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #732
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's logical. They're files, thus they'll take up space.
The way to do it is to just put on the fonts you will actually use. So when you find yourself no longer using a specific font, remove it.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #733
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

For my next project, I'm going to give a try to Gentium SIL and see how I like it compared to Charis SIL.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #734
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For my next project, I'm going to give a try to Gentium SIL and see how I like it compared to Charis SIL.
Will you be making a compact version similar to your Charis? I will look forward to trying it.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #735
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Will you be making a compact version similar to your Charis? I will look forward to trying it.
It depends on how much I like it. I'm going to try it on my 650 first and if I like it enough there, I'll work on Kindle versions.