Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
jb0nez
jb0nez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
mobi files won't show up ANYWHERE

I've read and read and read forum posts. I've downloaded and learned to use Calibre.

I got a mobi file from Guttenberg project. I converted it using Calibre (set the [PDOC] to [EBOK] though Ive read since that it's not necessary).
Copied by hand to Books directory. Rebooted Kindle Fire.

Worked fine but had a generic icon for the title. Decided I'd like a cover. Did the same process over again but edited the metadata to add a cover. Copied back over. Rebooted. Not listed in Books or Documents.

Tried every variety of troubleshooting since then. NO mobi files will ever show up. Doesn't matter if I edit metadata or just do straight conversion. Doesn't matter if I add a title. Doesn't matter if I copy the original Guttenberg mobi file. It just simply never shows up.

I've now resorted to emailing it to my username@kindle.com address and getting a PRC file out of it with a generic icon. At least then I can read it.

And I have already gone in and cleared cache AND data for kindle reader AND Kindle launcher. Had to re-register but it still had all my books on my device.

For the love of god I'm about to smash this thing. I've spent two hours on this. Why would it work the first time and never since? Does anyone who knows about Kindle innards know a cache or list file somewhere I can delete with root explorer? Or any other ideas?
jb0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

It could be a calibre conversion thing. I don't use calibre anymore opting to use Sigil to modify ePubs and Kindle Previewer to create the mobis/KF8s. I don't seem to encounter all the issues people keep having using other means such as calibre. I do know that Amazon is picky about how the toc.ncx file calls out the cover, among other things. Once you learn the proper way to format the toc.ncx cover issues go away.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
jb0nez

Ah but you forget two things: one is that it DID work with calibre one time. However even after i went back and reconverted the same file with the same settings, it stopped showing up. The second is i also copied the Guttenberg mobi project without using Calibre at all and it wouldn't site up. This is why i think the problem is on the kindle side

It sounds like this Kindle Previewer does similar things to Calibre, will it let me format Guttenberg project mobis to be compatible with kindle fire with little work on my part? I don't know what toc.ncx is and don't think it sounds like i want to learn proper toc.tcx if it's something i have to do by hand.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
There's a bug in Calibre unchecked inset metadata and reconvert your files. They will now show up. Don't forget if you sideload other than USB you need to restart the Fire or Force Close the Kindle app to get the shelves to reload.

See this thread By post #57 we actually are able to get files to show up.

Last edited by Blossom; 05-27-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
jb0nez

Thanks for the response. I'm suspecting bug in Calibre too. But not sure what you mean by
"unchecked inset metadata and reconvert your files"
Do you mean I should uncheck insert metadata? Not sure where to find this option. I do see on the Conversion screen in Structure Detection a checkbox called "Insert metadata as page at start of book". Is this what you're referring to? If so it's already unchecked.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0nez View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm suspecting bug in Calibre too. But not sure what you mean by
"unchecked inset metadata and reconvert your files"
Do you mean I should uncheck insert metadata? Not sure where to find this option. I do see on the Conversion screen in Structure Detection a checkbox called "Insert metadata as page at start of book". Is this what you're referring to? If so it's already unchecked.
If that is already unchecked you can try my settings. One person claimed it was Metadata being inserted but another claimed she used my settings with it checked and it worked. We haven't really figured it what it is but I do know that my settings work everytime. I have no issues whatsoever with the mobi files I add to my Fire.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
jb0nez

Ok I've tried your settings. Note that I'm converting mobi to mobi, not epub to mobi, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm also adding a cover image. That's actually the entire point of this exercise, I want my books to have covers not blue/white generic icons.

So I removed all instances of the file from my calibre library and from my kindle, re-added the original mobi, downloaded a cover only (no other metadata), set my options identically to yours, converted mobi to mobi (with your identical settings), copied the file over USB in the Documents folder, rebooted my kindle just to be safe, and...nothing. Doesn't show up Books or Documents.

I've also tried a conversion to azw3 and no luck either.

Like I said, the very first time I tried this mobi to mobi conversion, it worked fine, it just had the generic cover. Since then NOTHING will show up. I can email myself the file to username@kindle.com and get a prc out of it that shows up and is readable no problem, but then it has the generic icon.

I'm going to attach the mobi file I am using. It's not copyrighted, it's public domain from the Guttenberg project. Do you mind trying and letting me know if it works for you? If so then it's something on my kindle -- which is quite possible, it's rooted so not stock and that may add some variables.

Edit: I converted the mobi file to epub using Calibre, then opened it in Kindle Viewer. Kindle Viewer converted it to mobi but with warnings (though when I looked through the log I couldn't see any warnings). So I took THAT mobi file (which was twice as big as the Calibre version of it) and copied it to my kindle;s Books directory over USB and rebooted. Doesn't show up. I emailed myself the epub version of the file (which has a cover in its metadata) to username@kindle.com and it converted it and delivered it to my kindle -- without the cover!! AGH!

Edit2: Something is just wrong with my kindle. The "New Oxford American Dictionary" that we get for free is listed in my books as in my library but not downloaded. I hit download and nothing happens. So I went into Amazon.com to my library, hit download and install over USB, took the 23MB AZW file and put it into Documents as Amazon says to do and it doesn't show up! (Though my emailed and converted mobi file does).
Attached Files
File Type: mobi pg28497-images.mobi (4.16 MB, 334 views)

Last edited by jb0nez; 05-27-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Let me do some testing then I'll get back with you.

Okay took the file you attached and converted it in Calibre then Save to Disk which is my Dropbox folder. Downloaded it to the Books folder on the Fire. Did a Force Close on the Kindle app and it showed right up. Open it and it works fine.

Here's my copy done in Calibre. Let me know if it works for you.

Last edited by Blossom; 05-27-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
jb0nez

I'm pretty certain it's my kindle. I put an Amazon supplied .azw file (the dictionary) and a Kindle Preview converted mobi onto the KF, they of course didn't show up, but then I navigated to them with File Expert, did an Open with using Kindle Reader app, and it said "Invalid item: Please remove the item from your device and go to Archived Items and download again" for both files.
The Kindle Reader app should DEFINITELY be able to open those files. And of course since it's a Kindle sysem app, I can't uninstall and reinstall it
Old 05-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
jb0nez

I made progress!!!
I used ES File Explorer in root mode, went to /system/app and reinstall KindleOtterReader.apk (or something similar).
Now my books are showing up in the bookshelf correctly!! The dictionary, the mobi file (WITH cover)
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0nez View Post
I made progress!!!
I used ES File Explorer in root mode, went to /system/app and reinstall KindleOtterReader.apk (or something similar).
Now my books are showing up in the bookshelf correctly!! The dictionary, the mobi file (WITH cover)
Good to see you figured it out. I miss where you said you was rooted.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
jb0nez

My apologies, I should have mentioned that I'm rooted. Not sure it would've changed anything in this whole process, but it is an extra variable to consider. I guess I assume everyone has rooted kindles