Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Can't transfer ebooks to iPad

Until I downloaded the new version of iTunes this evening I could easily transfer ebooks from other sources to my iPad. I just plugged it into my computer, opened iTunes on my computer if it didn't open itself, clicked on books, and dragged and dropped the ebook from the computer to the list of books I have on my iPad. I must have a dozen or more ebooks I've prepared and have put on the iPad to make sure they work and are formatted properly.

As of a few minutes ago I can no longer do this - when I try to drag an ebook to the iPad all I see is the barred circle image, and the ebook never transfers.

Is there any other way of getting ebooks I've prepared myself on to the iPad? Or is Apple trying to protect their monopoly so that only their ebooks can be read on an iPad?

I'm using iBooks if that makes any difference.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Alex,

I've just tried it with my iPhone, running iBooks 1.5, the latest iTunes 10.5.2, and it worked absolutely fine, just as it's done before. Have you tried opening the "Books" page of the iPad before doing the drag and drop? Perhaps that might help?

Anyway, some small confort, perhaps, that it doesn't seem to be broken.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I'm just going to throw this in here, hoping I'm understanding your problem and it helps. If not, disregard.

Download drobpox to your computer, then the app (free) to your ipad.

Now, any book you want on the ipad, move to dropbox (it must be in epub format, but you cand do that with Calibre) .

Open the dropbox app on your ipad, and click on the book......it will download and say "cannot read this file", but just click the arrow on top, and that will give you a "open this in IBooks?" option. Click "yes" and there is your book.

This is how I download all my books to my ipad, and I've never bought one from Apple.

I've also gotten the latest update to ITunes, and am having no problems this way.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'm just going to throw this in here, hoping I'm understanding your problem and it helps. If not, disregard.

Download drobpox to your computer, then the app (free) to your ipad.

Now, any book you want on the ipad, move to dropbox (it must be in epub format, but you cand do that with Calibre) .

Open the dropbox app on your ipad, and click on the book......it will download and say "cannot read this file", but just click the arrow on top, and that will give you a "open this in IBooks?" option. Click "yes" and there is your book.

This is how I download all my books to my ipad, and I've never bought one from Apple.

I've also gotten the latest update to ITunes, and am having no problems this way.
Seems like a bloody complicated way of doing it, compared to a "drag and drop" into iTunes, if you'll forgive my saying so .
Old 12-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Also, open iTunes, select Edit, Add To Library, then select your books. You may have to adjust your sync settings to get them onto your iPad but that's fairly simple.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems like a bloody complicated way of doing it, compared to a "drag and drop" into iTunes, if you'll forgive my saying so .
and I'm sure there are other ways, but this is the only way I know.....

I guess if I found it too complicated I"d search for an easier way, but so far I'm fine with it.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you all for your responses, but I'm still puzzled.

I got one of the books I am preparing on to the iPad tonight, but only at the second attempt. The first time I tried, I just got the barred circle. Then I fiddled around trying to use David's technique - without success - then closed iTunes and then reopened it while my iPad was connected, and this time was able to drag and drop the ebook.

Harry, have you tried to drag and drop on an iPad, or only on an iPhone? It shouldn't make any difference, but I'm trying to eliminate every possibility. I always click on 'books' before trying to drag and drop; it's part of my regular process. Also, my nasty suspicious mind makes me delete a book I am replacing.

David, could you give a little more detail please? I was able eventually to click File on iTunes, then transfer, then clicked on the file I wanted to transfer. The window closed but the file did not appear in the books list.

DesertGrandma, thanks for your suggestion. I'll certainly try it if I can't get drag and drop to come back.

Last edited by AlexBell; 12-18-2011 at 01:48 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-18-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've just tried it on my iPad 2, Alex, and it works fine for me.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I tried dragging a book from my Books collection in my iTunes Library to my iPad and it worked.

Are you working with epub formatted books? This is the only format that you can use with iBooks with the exception of books purchased from Apple (as far as I am aware). I tried an improperly formatted file and was able to import it into my iTunes library, even drag and drop it into my iPad, but it would not SHOW UP on my iPad.

Here are the steps I use to import non iTunes books.

epub files have already been downloaded

in iTunes I select FILE > ADD TO LIBRARY (pop up window opens and I go to where my epub files are and select the files) > click OK

The books are now copied to the iTunes library and should be visible by selecting Books in your library list.

Your connected iPad should be listed under Devices. If you click on your iPad it should show the SUMMARY page with your iPad info. There are buttons for SUMMARY, INFO, APPS, etc, and a button for BOOKS across the top of the main iTunes window. Click on BOOKS and you can then manually manage which books to sync to your iPad. You must check the box next to SYNC BOOKS and then decide if you want to sync all or just a selection of your books.

If you choose to select your books, just go through all the books and click the small check boxes of the titles you want to sync. In the bottom right corner of the screen is a button that says SYNC. After you make any changes or selections it will change to APPLY. Just click on this after you're done choosing your books.

I hope that helps.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The trick with iTunes is that the device must be connected at the time of course.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 12-18-2011 at 07:39 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks again for your help.

I'm still having difficulties, and will let you know what happens.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard

Just to let people know: I can now drag and drop ebooks to my iPad. The only thing I'm doing differently is that I open iTunes on my computer, and then attach my iPad. It doesn't make any sense to me, but I have been able to load the latest version of the ebook I'm working on for Circaidy Gregory Press.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's good to hear. That's what I always do - open iTunes and then attach the iPhone/iPad.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's good to hear. That's what I always do - open iTunes and then attach the iPhone/iPad.
Thanks, Harry. I always used to attach the iPad and let iTunes open by itself. I have no idea why that no longer works.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
... File on iTunes, then transfer, then clicked on the file I wanted to transfer. The window closed but the file did not appear in the books list.
Alex, is this your normal way of doing a transfer? I'm not sure where you are doing it *from*. Is there a particular application you are sending from? Its just that I'm not really understanding why you could possibly be having issues.

I transfer all books via the drag and drop method, or "Add", under Apps on the device itself, when a device is connected... and have not ever had a circle/bar... I can even drag and drop files I know to be incompatible with a particular application and still cant get the circle/bar.

I see from your later posts that you can now drag and drop, but I'd still like to know what the clicking on file in itunes is for??

Last edited by kyteflyer; 12-27-2011 at 10:27 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote