Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
ekuest
ekuest began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
New eDGe owner with some questions

hey guys, just got my pocket edge a few days ago and i love it! got some things i want to do with it that i cant find any info on though, so i thought id post asking about them and see if anyone can point me in the right directions.

1) gameboy emulator-do any exist for android? how do you get it to work?
2) same question but for n64 emulator (other emulators too?
3) remotely accessing my windows 7 server with all my tv shows and movies wirelessly to transfer or stream them to my edge.

i had some other questions but cant remember them right now. those are the two main things id like to do if possible. still plenty of other uses for this thing though, and i havent even read any ebooks on it yet! thanks for helping out new edge users like myself.

~evan
ekuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
1. there may be one but without a multi-touch touchscreen it would be hard to control it.
2. There is an android n64 emulator, but I doubt it would run on the PE/EE well, if at all. The way they are written to work with these low powered phones makes it hard for them to work on anything but specific devices.
3. You will likely be able to transfer movies to your device wirelessly(as long as your network is configured correctly and the server has a public folder of some sort), but you will likely not be able to stream anything.

I hope this answers your questions, if you have any more feel free to ask!
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuest View Post
...1) gameboy emulator-do any exist for android? how do you get it to work?...
Gameboy emulator for Android; like this?

Google
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
ekuest

thanks emusan and gunner! yeah that sounds like a nice emulator, though im not sure how well it will work on an edge. the only game i really wanted to play was pokemon, which you dont really need to make multiple simultaneous button presses for, but i didnt think about that problem. definitely would be bad for a lot of games, and possibly pokemon too. also not sure how the UI works since apparently it uses the buttons on the phone, which the edge doesnt have. it does have the directional pad and button, so maybe that can be movement and A? hm at 5 bucks i might just buy it and try. i doubt it will even let me install it on my edge though. :/

how do i transfer files wirelessly? i cant find a way to access the drives on my server via the network.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Free emulators/games = http://www.mydroid.info/4687/emulator-roms-plus-v1-2-1/
This app host emulators for all available systems (although I could only get GBA and NES to work) and games for all consoles.
Also for wireless file transfers try dropbox: http://db.tt/R6mpvUV
You set up a folder on your computer that syncs with Dropbox (which allows 2gb+ for free online space) then you download the dropbox app which lets you have any file in your "dropbox" on your edge. Wirless transfer without the router hub-bub.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Emulators = worthless without multitouch.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
Emulators = worthless without multitouch.
Luckily I can use a tiny usb keyboard for non-rpg games.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
ekuest

awesome, thanks mokel. can i download these and load them with my laptop or do i have to do that android phone sideload thing? i dont have an android phone.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
ekuest, it sounds like you have not set up your LAN in ES File Explorer yet. There are instructions around here somewhere, but first you might want to open ES File Explorer and see if you can see the LAN tab. If so, you want to scan for drives. If you need more help it is available.

Once you have your LAN drives visible it is easy to copy and paste from LAN to Local and vice versa (but if you don't immediately see how, just ask!!)
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
awesome, thanks mokel. can i download these and load them with my laptop or do i have to do that android phone sideload thing? i dont have an android phone.
Go to the first link and try to download the files from the
Megashare or Filesonic links. This can be done using your edge or your laptop, but if you download it with your edge the .apk will be on your edge ready for install (probably in the "download" folder). As for dropbox, I do not know if you can directly download the .apk onto your edge, as I did not try it, but I assume you can. Even so, it would be better to set everything up on your laptop first. No side-loading needed.

Last edited by mokel22; 07-22-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
ekuest

why is it better to set up on my laptop first? it seems like it would be easier to just download all the APKs straight to my edge and then install them. i have a lot of researching still to do on this thing. havent had time because of work and my trip last week. should have some time this weekend finally. also, remembered another thing i wanted to know. does skype work? its not on amazon marketplace, but i do skype my gf on my laptop a lot, and it would be nice to be able to do it on my edge.

and thanks so much filark! i didnt know about the ES file explorer lan thing. connected right to it, and i can see all my drives. now just gotta see how fast it transfers and how many types of video file i can play. im kicking myself now cuz there was a class 10 micro sdhc card for $57 the other night on tigerdirect but i wasnt sure if i was going to be needing that much space. i wish i would have gotten it. ooh which reminds me, i noticed my 322mb "phone" memory is almost full, but i still have 2.4GB sd card memory free. how do i transfer files from my server directly to the internal sd card? also, is it a physical sd card that i can replace with a bigger one or is it soldered to the PE or something? sorry about all the questions! gonna sit down and read the manual now.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #12
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
why is it better to set up on my laptop first? it seems like it would be easier to just download all the APKs straight to my edge and then install them. i have a lot of researching still to do on this thing. havent had time because of work and my trip last week. should have some time this weekend finally. also, remembered another thing i wanted to know. does skype work? its not on amazon marketplace, but i do skype my gf on my laptop a lot, and it would be nice to be able to do it on my edge.

and thanks so much filark! i didnt know about the ES file explorer lan thing. connected right to it, and i can see all my drives. now just gotta see how fast it transfers and how many types of video file i can play. im kicking myself now cuz there was a class 10 micro sdhc card for $57 the other night on tigerdirect but i wasnt sure if i was going to be needing that much space. i wish i would have gotten it. ooh which reminds me, i noticed my 322mb "phone" memory is almost full, but i still have 2.4GB sd card memory free. how do i transfer files from my server directly to the internal sd card? also, is it a physical sd card that i can replace with a bigger one or is it soldered to the PE or something? sorry about all the questions! gonna sit down and read the manual now.
I can answer a few of these.
Skype does not work properly (you cannot chat using the webcam).
The 322mb phone space is the only space you get for application memory, therefore once it fills up you cannot install anymore apps unless you use the method in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138124
The internal memory is soldered to the motherboard, you cannot replace it.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
ekuest

well, i told my PE to hibernate last night, then closed it and went to sleep. this morning it wont wake up. ive pressed every button, and held the power switch for about 20 seconds. the e-ink side says it is hibernating. any way to get it out of this state or is it a goner?
Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Paperclip reset fixes this for me.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
ekuest

ah thanks! dumb of me not to try that. how often does this happen on yours? this is the first time its happened on mine and ive had ermine for about a week now.